Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Longtime lurker, first time poster... figured I'd add to the database.

Regrets

IP 4th Year

cGPA: 3.82

Best two (not counting 4th which, unfortunately, was my best at 3.97): 3.84

MCAT: 31S (12BS/10PS/9VR/S)

EC's: Fairly standard but diverse... hospital and health related volunteering (~175 hours), paid work in medical office, shadowing, research (not published yet but getting there), tutoring, travel.

Calgary MMI didn't go too well for me.

Congratulations to all those accepted, commiserations to all those rejected, and to those on the alternate list... hang in there!

Oh my gosh.. I've been waiting years to post this. This is my 4th time applying to medical school, and first time applying IP to Calgary.

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!

3.8 GPA

31 O (10,10,11)

Decent Exs..

Research, Volunteering (hospitals, fundraisers, Big Brother, Church related stuff)

Teaching undergrad labs

3 years of Work in an unrelated Career.

So excited!!!

Rejected :(

IP 4th year

GPA: 3.77

MCAT: 31Q

EC's: I'd say pretty average...

I thought the interview wasn't that awesome, yet I didn't think it was that awful either.Congrats to all of those accepted and good luck to those waitlisted. And for those rejected, I know it hurts like a mother but i'm pretty sure it'll help us in the long run. Now to go study for those blasted mcats... :rolleyes:

Regrets

2nd attempt

5th year IP

Academic Score 38.72/50

Activities 17/25

MCAT 10/15

Reference Letters 7.5/10

Total Pre-MMI 73.22/100

MMI - Verbal 27.25/50

Pre-MMI Score 29.29/40

MMI - Written 7.5/10

Final Application 64.04/100

Accepted

4th year IP

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 30Q

ECs: 1 semester research (with 1 published abstract), Internship at CBC Radio as Health/Science reporter for 1 summer, created charity basketball tournament, mentorship programs, 2 years ER Hospital volunteering, orientation leader, lots of athletics involvement in my hometown, etc.

Applied: U of A, U of C

Interviewed: U of A, U of C (both went well)

Accepted: U of A, U of C

Will be accepting the offer from the U of A - so the waitlist will move!

Waitlisted.

4th year IP

cGPA: 3.76

MCAT: (11/10/12/S)= 33S

ECs: Numerous sports teams, awards, and scholarships, lots of volunteering with kids and disable people. Some volunteering abroad as well.

Interviewed: U of A, U of C

Accepted: U of A

Waitlisted: U of C

I will be accepting U of A.

4th year, IP

Waitlisted at both U of A and U of C.

cGPA - 3.86 (I think)

MCAT 28Q

ECs - single parent, research with minor pubs, varsity team with national championship, some volunteering with my cultural association.

I'm actually pretty happy with this since I was initially rejected pre-interview with a score of 70.75 and a preinterview cutoff of 70.77. So because a few declined interview spots, I got to interview. I must have done decent on the interview to move from last place going in, to having a decent shot (fingers crossed). Hopefully the waitlist moves fast either at U of C or U of A so I can figure out where I will be living!

IP

Academic Score 37.96/50

Activities 22/25

MCAT 8/15

Reference Letters 6.75/10

Total Pre-MMI Score 74.71/100

MMI - Verbal 32.63/50

Weighted Pre-MMI Score 29.88/40

MMI - Written 5/10

Final Application Score 67.51 100

Older applicant. Did not start university until 25 and have a master's degree. Thought interview went really well along with the essay. Apparently not...Not too keen on re-writing MCAT as I already have a full time career job and I like my life outside of work than to be studying for an exam all summer.

Reference letters were disappointing too. The people who wrote them know me very well in academic and professional settings. But I guess there is tremendous variability in who reads/scores these things. I applied last year as well and was rejected post interview and my reference letters (from same people) were, if I recall, 1.5 points higher. Also my MMI essay was 2 points higher last year over this year.

Accepted

IP

Graduated 2010 B.Sc. (Hons.)

cGPA 3.6x

MCAT 35Q

Pretty good ECs/Refs

Interviewed: Dal, Calgary, Toronto, Alberta, Queens, Mac

Accepted: Calgary, Alberta, Queens, Mac

Waitlisted: Dal, Toronto

Will be declining Calgary offer shortly.

IP, finished B.Sc. and M.Sc.

GPA: 3.6-3.7ish cant remember for U of C....

MCAT: 31R (WITH AN 8 IN VERBAL BABY!...let that bring hope to all...)

ECs: captain varsity team, provincial sports team captain, summers doing research but only 1 abstract, 1 random publication from a class unrelated to medicine, TONS of volunteering - I looooove it - hospital, non-hospital, lots of leadership stuff, dramatic performances, teaching experience, awards for leadership etc.

1st time applying

Applied: U of A, U of C, U of T, Mac

Interviewed: U of A, U of C, U of T

Accepted: U of A, U of C, U of T

Not sure where I'm gonna go...I loved U of A, but the 3 year program is quite attractive....

Accepted - which was very surprising considering I was missing one reference and the MMI felt like death.

IP, graduated in 2007, working as an RD since.

MCAT 33R

GPA 3.9ish

Activities mostly limited to work related experience and some long term unrelated volunteering.

MMI - thought it was a complete disaster, but it must have been good enough! At the station with the different format, I spoke for about 2 minutes and then stared awkwardly at the floor until the buzzer... So your MMI doesn't have to be perfect to get in!

Also applied at UofA and accepted there.. I haven't decided where to go yet.

This is my first premed101 post! I've been reading this thread lately leading up to May 13th, so thanks to everyone for the support i've already gained.

Unfortunately I was rejected from U of C :-(

I'm wondering what the cut-off total score was.

Score Value Weight

Academic Score 36.84 50

Activities 19.75 25

MCAT 10 15

Reference Letters 7.75 10

Total Pre-MMI Score 74.34 100

MMI Scores Value Weight

MMI - Verbal 32.75 50

Weighted Pre-MMI Score 29.74 40

MMI - Written 5.5 10

Final Application Score 67.99 100

I'm usually gold on written assessments, University papers, english classes, the MCAT i got a T for writing. I blame my crappy written score (which dropped my total score) on those stupid computer track pads!

I want to apply again. I'm finished my degree now and am just working a serving job.. Any suggestions on bolstering up my pre-interview? I'm thinking of going into Nursing fast track as back up. Also some additional volunteering, maybe some travel volunteering for personal incentive :D

Fourth-year IP applicant

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 31Q

ECs: I think this was probably the biggest strength of my application. I had lots of volunteering (in the inner city, with a youth group, coaching kids soccer, crocheting baby blankets for foster care agencies, and visiting patients in a hospital); started a social justice club on campus; NSERC lab work; piano; sports (soccer, hockey, ultimate frisbee).

1st time applying

Applied: U of A, U of C, UBC, MUN (Newfoundland)

Interviewed: U of A, U of C, UBC, MUN

Accepted: U of A, U of C

Waitlisted: UBC

I will be accepting at U of A.

U of C made a great impression on me, but I'd like to stay close to home. Plus, I'm planning a trip to Peru at the end of July, and going to U of C at the end of July would really interfere with those plans :P

I said I would post my stats once my hands stopped shaking :P

Accepted!

IP

cGPA: 3.68

MCAT: 33Q

Applied: UofC and UofA

Accepted: UofC and UofA

It's my 3rd time applying. I think it was my extracurrics and references that pushed me in this cycle. I also learned how to properly present my extracurrics in my application, and had an amazing MMI practice group. Don't know what the Interview results were but I'm very curious.

Wow what a great time to post my first message on here.

IP, 3rd year mature student in Nutrition, first time applying

GPA: 3.69

MCAT: 30P

Left work in emergency services to go back to school and pursue medicine, so you can imagine that my EC's are full of great experiences. For all you mature students out there, dont give up, life experience if something you can never learn from a textbook. Keep your heads high

Applied: Uof A, Uof C

Interviewed: UofC

Accepted: U ofC

I'm an Alberta and BC resident in graduate studies (PhD). My GPA was ~3.7 (two BSc's) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: M (I don't know what happened there)

For non-academic I have a history in competitive sports and volunteering through my church primarily. In addition, I have a wife (married for 11 years this week) and three children who take up a lot of my time (which I enjoy).

I was waitlisted by Calgary. This is my third time applying to this school.

I applied only to Calgary as I am just starting in on my PhD here.

I was interviewed at Calgary.

After reading through everyone's posts on here, I am quite encouraged by the number of people not choosing UofC. On behalf of everyone on the waitlist, thank you. Hopefully the waitlist moves fast and far for all of us in this position.

Waitlist 2011 is not a fun place to be right now, I think I am more stressed now then I was for May 13th.

Best 2 yrs GPA: 3.95 cGAP 3.87

MCAT 37P VR11 PS11 BS15

References: I assume good, will ask the same people, if I have to reapply

EC's: lots of work and volunteer time in sports medicine field, conference planning, sports participation, and yes I TOO have been to AFRICA (Tanzania HIV/AIDs Education and hospital work).

MMI: Came out feeling really good but started feeling less and less good as time passed

Written: Probably my weakest link, never been a strong writer and was really thrown off by prompt.

Really hope to be joining all those accepted in the class of 2014. If not I'll be right behind you in class of 2015.

Fifth time applying to medicine in Canada, 3rd time applying to U of C. Waitlisted once, rejected pre-interview the following year, and this time finally accepted!

I don't have the enormous stats of many posters here, but just a lot of dedication (stubbornness?) and desire to follow my dream.

IP

cGPA <3.5

MCAT <30

BSc, MSc, +half a B.Ed. degree. A couple publications, abstracts, presentations.

Eclectic but long term ECs.

Bottom line: Where there is a will, there is a way. I hope this post gives someone else who is a non-traditional applicant some hope. :)

Hey Guys!

Accepted

OOP 3rd year applicant

GPA near or at 4.0 by calgary's conversion

MCAT 36P (12, 10, P, 14)

EC's long list that you can find under UBC's accepted/rejected thread

Accepted: UBC, Calgary, Ottawa, alberta

Will almost 100% for sure be choosing UBC, but Calgary is my next choice... currently discussing options with my Fiancee (wife next week ahhh).

Still in disbelief, but I was accepted today off the waitlist and I immediately accepted.

Stats:

-OOP

-ugrad GPA <3.5

-grad GPA >3.9 [course based MSc]

-MCAT 37 Q

-strong references (1 prof, 2 former employers)

-moderately strong ECs (President of two student groups, MCAT teacher, TAed dentistry and med students in anatomy to name a few)

-MMI - felt I did average

-Written MMI - felt I did slightly better than average

My undergrad started strong, 3.8 GPA, but dropped as the years went on bc I lost interest in education. I re-ignited my interest again towards the end, pulled out a strong MCAT mark, and excelled in a course-based master's program. Let this be a lesson to all, if you mess up a couple years in ugrad, you can still salvage yourself. Also, Calgary was THE only interview I received!

Never give up!

• 2 weeks later...

IP. First time applying. Rejected from UofA pre-interview.

Accepted off the UofC Wait-List yesterday.

GPA: 3.6

MCAT: 31M (12P/9VR/10B)

Interview: Felt good

Written: Felt horrible (I am a horrible writer as reflected by MCAT as well)

EC:

Competitive Fencing x 8 years (local competitions → World Cup)

Campus Soccer Intramurals x 4 years

Snowboard Instructor

Running (5km runs → Half Marathons)

Study Abroad in Italy and Egypt

VP finance of Student Volunteering Club x 1 year

Community Educator (Health Presentations at Elementary Schools)

Worked at a Pharmacy x 1.5 years

No hospital volunteering, No research, No volunteering in Africa, No Masters nor PhD.

My advice to future applicants:

Do what you love to do and not what you think you need to do to get into medical school. My lack of traditional extracurricular activities had me worrying for a while, but I could never forgive myself if I had participated in activities just for the sake of getting into medical school. Because, what would happen if you do not get in? You’ll feel like you wasted your life doing things you never really wanted to do.