Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

• 4 weeks later...

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday (July 1)!

IP

MCAT- brutal (<<<30/Q)

gpa - ~3.45 I think? (~80% overall)

Pretty strong references, in my opinion

Strong ECs/volunteer work

This was my only interview, so I found it hard to judge how well it went - some felt really good, one felt really bad. I felt I did pretty well on the essay.

• 10 months later...

Accepted on admissions offers day

IP

gpa: 3.58

mcat: 30Q, 11 VR

refs: one research, one coach, one dentist

ECs: likely why I was accepted, successful research, director of an NGO, non-typical work in African countries, teach sexual health, student government, etc.

Interview: felt like i did well on all but 2.. Ran out of time to finish my thoughts on those 2

Thought I would re-post (original post has mysteriously disappeared)

IP

Waitlisted

MCAT: 30 N (12 VR)

GPA: 3.50

ECs: You know..

So again congratulations to those accepted, best of luck to my fellow waitlisters, and big cyber hugs to those not accepted.

Thought I should post my stats to add to the database. I definitely used those a lot trying to figure out my chances, so I'll be as detailed as possible for all y'all! :P

Rejected

4th Year IP

aGPA: 3.73 (UC scale - it hurts to come from UBC sometimes!)

VR: 12

EC: Volunteering, university clubs, owned a small business, diverse work experience, 2 years research with 1st author pub.

References: Only 2 of 3. One of my referees missed the deadline for submitting my reference letter. I still got an interview, but this certainly could have hurt my application.

Interview: Who knows. Really good I thought, but that doesn't seem to be the case. My answers were always concise. I had 4 stations where I had silence at the end, but it wasn't awkward and I didn't think it was a problem. Coming out of the MMI I thought it went really well.

I'm accepted at my first choice of Western, so I'm actually ecstatic right now!

My one piece of advice for people applying is that you never really how well you've done on interviews. I thought I aced Calgary and bombed Western, but it seems like I was completely wrong.

Repost:

Wait listed

GPA: 3.27 (engineering!)

VR: 14

EC: Who really knows? I'm a work junkie over achiever, but aren't we all?

Refs: at least 1 glowing, one was Swedish and doesn't believe in saying more than "acceptable", the other I have no idea.

Any ways, I love the program here hopefully things get moving...

Guess I'll add to the database...

Flat out rejected post-interview

GPA 4.0 on the UofC scale

MCAT 32 (12/9/11) R

Lots of diverse and long term extracurrics (national/international athlete, long term coaching/mentoring, long term hospital volunteering, 2 years of research, 5 yrs of tutoring, personal trainer, lifeguard)

Felt that the interview was ok at first, but realized later that some of the things i said were just plain stupid. I thought the stations at the U of A went a lot better and much more relatable to the medical field.

Got into my first choice (UofT) yesterday, so happy overall. Good luck to everyone at the U of C! It's a great school :)

Repost

Accepted and very excited!

IP

GPA: 3.45 (Engineering)

MCAT: 32S (11VR)

EC: I don't think any of us can really describe them well here, just make sure you write killer impact statements.

Interview: Initially felt good about all but 2 stations, then began to doubt everything as time went on. I really enjoyed the interviews though.

Can't wait to meet some of you in July! Fingers crossed for those of you on the waitlist!!

IP

GPA: 3.54

MCAT: 33M (14VR; my previous MCAT writing score was Q—not sure what happened with this one!)

EC: As a mature student, lots of employment/life experience and also some volunteering.

Interview: Having interviewed last year (waitlisted) felt relatively comfortable...

Congrats to everyone who got in; to those who didn't—try again! This was my third attempt, and it paid off.

Third time applying, IP and wait listed!! Wait listed last year and ultimately never made it off...blah here's to hoping!

GPA: 3.79

MCAT: haha...

ECs: mature student, been working with the same organization for 9 years and employed f/t with them, volunteer work with an international NGO, very limited experience in medical environment (volunteered at nursing home as a teen)

Thought interview went much better this year than last, evidently not, alas there is still hope.

For the record, I love my current gig and every passing year it's getting harder and harder to imagine leaving it. Medicine, like many of you, has been a dream for a very long time, so what can I say...trying to live it! If doesn't work out, however, I'm happy with what I already have. I suppose it could be worse!

Anyway -- for others out there, there's no shame in chasing other opportunities that you love, even if it doesn't sound as good as saying "I'm a doctor" or doesn't carry the same prestige. At the end of the day, if serving your community or fellow brethren is what you truly desire, you will live a happy life. There is a saying that goes, "There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well."

Best of luck to everyone!