Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 12PS/11VR/12BS

ECs: I didn't plan on going to med school until last year so none of my ECs have medically related experience (except for one small one). Mainly student council (president), member of some local and international executive committees (nothing saving the world, mainly professional societies), volunteering, very little research, no pubs. However, I had some decent experiences like working abroad, etc. that might have given me an edge.

Interview: Thought it went ok. Nothing spectacular but didn't screw up too much.

Have no idea what school I'm going to choose. Queen's was my top choice and the only one that I was waitlisted for so I might wait right to the deadline to decide. UWO and Alberta are my next top. I will likely decline U of C because of the three year program alone...I need more time in summer to get a competitive application for residency as I am likely applying to a competitive residency program. The school seemed awesome though, really close-knit and great facilities! Good luck to the person on the waitlist who will get my spot!

Accepted

MSc complete

GPA 3.75 (with worst year dropped and 10 yr exclusion rule)

MCAT 40R (14PS/13VR/13BS/R)

ECs - Things I am passionate about. Definitely took advantage of the Top 10 'clumping' feature and tried to talk about my experiences and what I learned from them in terms of the CANMEDS competencies and the specified non-cognitive attributes they are looking for. I thought the key was giving them evidence of these attributes, rather than expecting them to read between the lines.

Interview - Thought I gave answers that any reasonable human would give, no 'wow' factor, but apparently that was good enough!

I thought Calgary seemed like a really awesome school - a good combination of the intense factor of getting it all done in 3 years but in a supportive, laid-back atmosphere. Fairly sad to say I declined my invitation and am going to UBC VFMP for family reasons.

Should probably post here...

Rejected post-interview- but I finally got an interview!

IP

GPA: 3.75 (adjusted using 10-yr-rule), ~3.2 overall OMSAS

MCAT: 33R (11VR)

ECs: I guess above average based on last cycle scores

Interview: Felt it went well, "brought myself", had a great time. I guess prep differently for next year?

Waitlist: OOP

MCAT: 36Q (Verbal = 12)

aGPA: 3.98

EC: Nothing too amazing. Research with a few conference abstracts. Tutoring. TAing for many years. Weekly volunteer work at animal shelter.

Interview: Thought it went really well. Never tripped on any station, never lost for an answer. Though I was quite clever with some answers.

OOP

Applied: Calgary, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Interview: Calgary, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Accepted: Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Waitlist: Calgary

**Accepting Manitoba, but waiting for Calgary**

A bit late but here it is:

Accepted, first time applying.

3rd year IP (3 year undergrad + 1 year co-op)

GPA - 3.85 best 2 years (Engsci U of T, 6-7 courses per semester)

MCAT - 11/10/10/Q

ECs - Average? The top 10 thing at UC definitely worked in my favour because I didn't have as many things as the ave premed because I had less time as an engineering student to do ECs. So I grouped multiple small activities into single entries that had an unified theme so each of the 10 entries was fairly strong.

Interview - My first MMI ever, thought it was super easy and pretty fun. The questions were not complicated/constructed - mostly very organic scenarios that could happen in real life. Not much need for background knowledge, you just had to be a likeable, mature, understanding individual to do well.

Will be declining in favour of U of A. Good luck waitlisters! :)

I'm a current BC resident and past AB resident. Currently working as a pharmacist. My GPA was about 3.8 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: N

Lots of EC and a few years of work experience as a pharmacist.

I was accepted by Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school.

I applied to UC, UA, UBC, Queen's, Manitoba, Memorial, Ottawa, McGill, McMaster.

I was interviewed at UC and UBC.

I was accepted by UC.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend UC as my first choice.

Just got off the waitlist! Really wasn't expecting it at 10pm...

I'm a BC resident.

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 11V/12P/11BS/MWS =|

ECs: pretty standard...research experience, co-author on two publications, tutoring experience, Let's Talk Science, hospital volunteering

Interview: didn't feel too great about it, but likely because I got frazzled on the second station when I didn't know to start reading right away and didn't finish reading the prompt in time and focused a lot on that after the interview was over...

Accepted off of the OOP wait-list, time stamp 11:04 pm, May 30th, 2013. I will be accepting my offer.

MCAT: 36Q (12 VR)

aGPA: 3.98

Interview: Thought it went really well. Nothing surprised me or caught me off guard, and I answered most of follow up questions before they were even asked which made for awkward "You already answered this but here is the follow up"

ECs: Nothing amazing really. Continuous volunteering with Humane Society, tutoring, one summer lab work, TAing.

Good luck to all those still waiting, keep your hopes up! The wait-list usually tends to move a lot...

OOP

Applied: U of Manitoba, U of Saskatchewan, U of Calgary

Interview: All 3

Offered: All 3

Accepted:U of C

IP 4th year

GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 9VR

Activities: 6 years of medical research, mutiple scholarships, 6 years of Tom Baker volunteer, Finished Royal Conservatory piano, multiple sports teams and Central America volunteering in a special needs school. Fluent in 4 languages.

Interview: not sure, practiced lots

This is the 3rd time I applied. 1st time - rejected after interview, 2nd time waitliste but did not get off the waiting list. I guess patience and perservance finally paid off.:) It's been 3 long years.

Also waitlisted in U of A. Will wait for next week to decide.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. I hope there are more movements next week!

Hi All,

This forum has been of great help to me in the past couple years. I believe this would be my first time posting here. After 5 years of struggle, I was accepted off the wait list. Congrats to all accepted and to those that were not, please never give up on your dream. It will happen eventually, just keep at it.

GPA 3.79

Verbal 7

Tons of Extracurricular activities over the last five years both medical related and community service.

accepted off the waitlist, but will be declining for UofA

4th year IP

10VR

Very very diverse ecs and lots of life experience

Interview was kind of hard for me. I found UofAs questions a lot easier, but I must have done somewhat okay!

Second time applying. First time waitlisted, second time waitlisted, but just got an offer.

IP

Adjust GPA: 3.62

Degree: Kinesiology

VR 11

Interview: Thought it went OK, but you never know.

EC: Nothing out of the ordinary. Volutneered with two different animal organizations and with hospice for 4 years. 2 publications, work in a research enviroment. I have also traveled whenever I had the opportunity and did a semester abroad which I highly recommend.

Will likely be accepting this offer!

Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster, and was accepted off the IP wait list yesterday. I've accepted the offer. This is my first time applying to med school. I just wanted to let everyone who is nervous about applying because their GPA is "too low" that they should go for it. If you've spent your time doing what you care about, it's going to show. I know the premed community, here and in the real world, are full of tales of 3.9 GPA requirements and marks insecurities. My adjusted GPA is 3.33 (without my master's marks because I hadn't graduated at the time of application). So basically just don't doubt yourself before you even try. Thanks to everyone in this community for voicing all the anxieties I was too much of a baby to say online and good luck to everyone.

IP

GPA- 3.33

Undergrads from Queen's- Biochem SSP, Life Sciences

MSc in Medical Biophysics from U of T

9 PS 12 BS 13 VR R

Extracurriculars- Let's Talk Science, hospice, Relay for Life, student council, etc etc

Applied - U of A, Calgary, U of T, McMaster, Western, Queen's

Interview- Calgary, McMaster

Waitlist- Calgary, McMaster

Accepted- Calgary

Accepted off the waitlist on Monday

4th year IP, first time applying

Degree in Physiology

Adjusted GPA: 3.64

MCAT: 32Q, 11VR

EC: 2 long term activities (sport/music), 3 part time jobs and a few volunteering activities since I started university

Interview: was incredibly nervous, underdressed (relatively), but I guess I still ended up saying the right things. Accepted the offer before they realized their mistake.

Wasn't sure I wanted to do medicine until my 3rd year. Studied what I was interested in, did what I loved outside of school. I tried my best to show them what I got out of what little experience I had. Best of luck to anyone still waiting!

Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker for a while now and I thought I would post my stats to help applicants! Also I think I give hope to people with odd stats

First time applying IP

GPA- 3.31 (undergrad-worst year dropped and not including MSc GPA)

MCAT- 8(V), 9(PS), 10 (BS) R

Extracurricular- MSc student with several poster presentations, volunteered in a pediatric oncology inpatient ward for 4 years, worked full-time during my undergrad (serving etc), volunteered and worked for the Make-A-Wish foundation, was a research assistant for a year, worked for a summer camp that caters to children with cancer and their families, graduate scholarship of 15,000.

Interview- thought it went well. First experience with MMI but practiced endlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I was accepted off the wait list earlier today. I've accepted the offer. I have been checking this site religiously over the last month and a half- what a grueling roller-coaster ride... For all of you still waiting, don't give up just yet!

IP

GPA- 3.46

BSc from Dal in Neuro

10V

Extracurriculars- Let's Talk Science, Basketball, Autism research, etc.

Just found this forum today!

Accepted May. 15th.

3rd year IP

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 42S (15BS, 13VR, 14PS)

EC's: Many diverse, but nothing medical related. Lots of high level sports (former olympic athlete). ETC.

Interview: I thought it went well, a lot different from other schools...

I declined a long time ago as I am attending U of A. Just thought I would add my stats to the collection...

• 10 months later...

Accepted! OOP

wGPA: 3.82

VR: 11

ECs: Extensive. Last year I scored in the 92nd percentile for the preMMI 50% score (with 27th percentile for post MMI score, also 50%). This year I worked harder on them to increase my scores where I lost points last year. I'm going to assume that I maintained a high percentile for preMMI score given that my wGPA and VR just barely made it for OOP (3.80 and 11 cut off).

MMI: My first MMI after 8 months of prep with my buddy lwu018 (also accepted to NOSM this year!) and was nice to put my practice into a real test. I felt I did fine. 1 station I bombed as the interviewer was very intimidating and straight forward (last station, thank goodness), and one station I think I impressed myself (acting station).

I really admire Calgary's transparency with their whole program and that kinda reflects their morals and philosophy. I am debating between Calgary and McMaster. Both are 3 years. Thank you Calgary for giving me a second chance!

For those who have unfortunately not been given an admission, I received 3 rejections and 1 waitlist last year and after learning from my mistakes, I was able to redeem myself with 2 invitations and 2 waitlists.

For those who are struggling and need some advice, I'm more than happy to explain what I did for the last 8 months to prepare for the interviews.

TIME STAMP: 4:39 PM EST

Result: Accepted (will decline, altough Calgary was an AMAZING school with AMAZING students)

wGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 13/11/12

ECs: Extensive research experience, first authoured paper, tutoring, hospital volunteering, worked with at-risk populations, exec member at a university club, awards and scholarships, etc

Interview: Felt good about my performance, but was not sure about a few stations.

Year: Completed UG 2012

Geography : OOP