Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Result: Accepted 3rd year IP (declining)

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 14/12/13

EC's: Hospice volunteering, lifeguard/swim instructor, first aid stuff, volunteering with vulnerable populations, research with a publication in a high impact journal, golf, various sports etc....

Interview: Overall, it felt pretty good...

I think that Calgary is an amazing school and I will miss the city.... (did my undergrad at U of C)

I was really tempted by the 3 year program! However, going in as a third year, it doesn't really make a difference anyways!

Good luck to all those wait-listed!

Result: Accepted !!!!!!! Can barely believe it!!!!!!

wGPA: 3.69 (with a completed MA and honors bachelors)

MCAT: bahaha- VR was 10

EC's: 7 years working in sexual health, masters research, lots of undergrad volunteering, volunteering at ER, tons of jobs in public health, etc. sort of a mature applicant at 25- finished my Bachelor in 2010 and masters in 2011 so going back to school!

Interview: Honestly, I could barely remember it but I felt strangely calm throughout the whole thing.

just wow. seriously, this is my third year applying- first waitlisted at Mac, then rejected before interview and now accepted. I was telling myself all year that this would be the end of it all, but now it's just the start! holy poop!!!!!

Accepted OOP

3rd year

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 38, 13 VR

ECs: see invite thread. Nothing special I don't think but they liked them!

Interview: thrilled when I walked out, started to doubt a bit after though.

So excited, I'll wait for UBC tomorrow to decide, but I may be going to Calgary! Loved the school on interview day!

Result: ACCEPTED!

Year: 4th Year IP

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 35 (10 VR)

ECs: I think above average, spent a lot of time re-writing from last year based on feedback

Interview: Practiced A LOT, I know I bombed 1 station for sure but I had a really good feeling coming out of 11.

After being wait listed last year, the feeling is so surreal -- still can't believe I'm in! Congrats to everyone who got in! Keep trying if you got rejected the feeling is well worth it.

Result: ....Accepted:)!

Year: 4th Year OOP (second degree, technically like my 7th ug year)

GPA: 3.91 (10 year rule for some years of my first degree, thank god for the 10 year rule!)

MCAT: 31 (11 VR)

ECs: No clue. Must have been decent. 2 publications (non-science one on medical ethics), hospital volunteering (one reference letter from here), tons of work in the service industry ('cause I've been a student forever), completed MA.

Interview: No practice, no stressing about it. I interviewed MMI format in the States in November, and got accepted (they give feedback and told me I scored second out of 50 people for that interview weekend). For that interview I had no time to prep, and I seemed to do better when I just said what I thought (rather than what I thought they wanted to hear). Took the same approach for Calgary and honestly thought I killed the interview (like every station except 1 answered very very well).

This is I think my fourth year applying (so many times I am a little fuzzy on the number). Waitlisted at Queen's 2 years in a row (Queen's waitlist=7th layer of hell). This was my only interview. So happy to be accepted to a 3 year Cdn school with an average age of 27 for acceptees (we can complain about young people together).

Accepted - OOP!!!!

cGPA: 3.90 (Undergrad), 4.0 (Masters)

MCAT: 11/11/S/11 (33S)

Extracurriculars: Hospital volunteering, social work/child-life volunteering, varsity athlete, 3 summers of undergrad research + graduate research, multiple national/provincial scholarships, organized a big fundraising event, various competitive/intramural sports teams, TA, ski instructor and other random things

Interview: Thought it went really well! I loved the relaxed atmosphere of the whole day. Definitely a fun experience!

Will most likely be accepting the offer! UofC has been my top choice since the beginning!

OOP Accepted!

Year: Nearly done PhD

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 13 VR

Interview: Thought it went great except for 1 station

Will likely be accepting since I loved the vibe at UofC and think that the city of Calgary has so much to offer! Der Kaiser, I look forward to ranting about the youngin's with you ;)

Can't wait to meet you all!

Can't believe I'm finally posting this, but for me, third time was the charm!

GPA - 3.7

MCAT - 13 VR

EC's - above average I think and probably saved me

Interview - to be honest I felt absolutely terrible walking out and thought I had zero chance, so needless to say, today was a surprise!

I'll be waiting to hear from UBC and U of A to decide but Calgary was awesome so we'll see!

Congrats to those accepted and best of luck to everyone waiting for this cycle or next. It sure is a grind but don't give up! I never thought this day would come :)

Accepted! (IP) Can't believe it, I am so excited!

Graduated UG last year

GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 34Q

ECs: Hospital/research volunteering, lots of music stuff, volunteer trips, etc.

Interview: It was my 1st MMI but I thought it went pretty well except for one station!

Not sure where I'll be going yet as I've also been accepted to Mac, waitlisted at Western, and waiting on U of A, we'll see what the next few days bring!

Congratulations to everyone accepted!

Accepted OOP

GPA 3.92

VR 11

EC: clinical volunteering, TAing, residence advisor 2 years, public health work, club exec, research, currently a masters student

Interview: Found it difficult and felt it was my worst interview, but I guess it went better than I thought :)

Will be declining the offer

IP - accepted! First year applying, but spent 5 years ramping up to this moment.

GPA: 3.83 undergrad, higher in grad school

MCAT: 8 VR

EC's: four years work experience in health care, research, volunteer, lived overseas two years.

Also applied to UBC, Mac, and NOSM. I'm gratefully accepting this U of C offer!

:eek: ACCEPTED!

4th year IP

GPA - 3.48

MCAT - VR 11, PS 11, BS 13

ECs - I think that they were pretty strong. I would say they got me the interview. I had lots of long term and they were pretty unique (support groups within the child welfare system, board director for a historical site, etc).

Interview - I came out of it feeling really good. Apparently that was the right impression!

Still can't believe I got in! This was the only school that I was interviewed at and I was ecstatic yesterday when I got the news!

For anyone still applying, here is some hope for those of us with lower GPAs!

Waitlisted

Graduated - Two undergrad degrees (one in bio, one in honours chem)

Currently finishing my Masters in chemistry

GPA: 3.53 - IP

MCAT: VR09/ PS10/ BS11

EC: Lots of community involvement from university/church, founder of a club, built some houses in Mexico, TA, husband, amateur mechanic, crew leader for landscaping and their mechanic/welder

Awards: QEII and NSERC CGSM

Interview: I thought it went better than my first interview three years ago. I got on the wait-list (wait list / waitlist?) so it must be true.

Fourth time applying, so there is always hope.

That being said, here is hoping I am relatively high on the list.

Rejected.

3rd year IP.

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 11 VR

EC's: Decent, but fairly standard, I think.

MMI: Wasn't too great.

Was feeling pretty crappy yesterday, but feel significantly better today. It was a long journey and I was/am blessed to get an interview in the first place considering my age and background.

This was just the warm-up; next cycle is my cycle.

Accepted (also accepted at Toronto, western, and queens)

First time applying, only applied to Calgary and Ontario since I don't meet most of the course requirements for other schools.

Interview: There was 1 station I definitely felt I did poorly in. Two stations I wasn't sure on. The rest went pretty well.

Program: MD

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: verbal -11, Phy -12, Bio -13

ECs: Very heavily involved with one organization. Worked in engineering jobs.

Year: UG

Geography: Alberta

I did an Engineering degree in Alberta, and have worked in engineering companies. I didn't decide on medicine until recently, so I didn't have much research experience nor hospital volunteer experience, but pursued other interests I'm passionate about. Looks like it worked out! :)

Accepted!

This is my first time applying.

wGPA: 3.48

MCAT: PS-8 VR-9 BS-10

ECs: Hospital volunteer, co-organizer for a fundraising event, volunteer tutor, volunteered at meal kitchen, worked since the age of 12 to support myself, 1 review, 4 papers (some under revision, so not all published), 6 conference abstracts (1 oral presentation, 5 posters). Always did things I was interested in and activities that would allow me to experience personal growth.

Interview: I practiced a lot. In person with two other applicants, with friends, over Skype with randoms from PM101. Some stations felt good, some felt not so good, and some felt mediocre. I just went in and spoke from my heart.

Year: MSc complete

Geography: IP

I never thought I was good enough so I didn't apply. The feeling of wanting to be a doctor never went away, and I decided to just go for it. I hope my stats give hope to those who are constantly discounting themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to post, but decided to add my stats anyways...

Result: Waitlisted

IP 4th year Pool (Just finished MSc)

GPA: 3.79

MCAT: 12/12/12

EC: Probably a little lower than average, a couple long-term, non-med volunteering, one med-related volunteer position, lots of research-related activities.

Interview: Felt awesome. Practiced a lot with two other applicants. Really enjoyed the entire day.

Congrats to the class of 2017!!