Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

• 8 months later...

I have been explicitly waitlisted. So now we know for sure that there will be official "waitlisted" applicants. Though, I supposed, it is possible that they don't have any official rejections and everyone is waitlisted.

Congratulations paulos and everyone else who got acceptances! Good luck to anyone else who's in my waitlisted boat.

Waitlisted!

I'm OOP and my preinterview score was JUST above the cutoff, so I'm surprised that I didn't get outright rejected. Is it possible that they only sent out acceptances and waitlisteds, that no outright rejection exists?

Also, is the OOP waitlist separate from the IP one?

Thanks and congratulations to all who got accepted!!!

OOP waitlist is separate since there's an IP quota so if an IP turns down his/her offer, they have to offer it to an IP not an OOP (assuming that they're at the quota which is likely).

It is possible that if an IP has a higher score than an OOP they would offer an OOP spot to an IP instead. But sadly, OOPs are definately at a disadvantage.

The Admissions web site notes (emphasis mine)

Acceptance/Wait list/Rejection letters will be emailed on May 15, 2007

So presumably there are outright rejections this year (which is good for us). We can't be sure until we find someone who got an outright rejection.

Of course, the next question is how many are on this waitlist?

Wooohooo - just got an acceptance email!

Congrats to everyone else who got in and good luck to those waiting!

Here's a rundown of my stats: Undergrad at UWaterloo in Math (3.6 cGPA), MSc in Computer Science from Queen's (3.8 cGPA with 2 published first-author papers), and a 34Q on the MCAT. Oh, and I'm an IP applicant.

Yes, it should move much faster. But it is almost certainly much longer too.

We believe that 19 positions will go to OOP students. But on the order of 100–120 were interviewed for those 19 spots (so 1 spot for every 5–6 interviewed). On the other hand, for IPs there are 106 spots and 300–320 were interviewed for them (so 1 spot for every 3 interviewed). Presumably, the OOP waitlist is then about twice as long as the IP waitlist.

I'm not sure if the OOP waitlist will move twice as fast or not. I guess it's all down to luck now.

So much waiting in this process. Does anyone know how fast the waitlist has moved in the past???

I heard it was over 100 spots last year (though that may include the OOP students as well who are likely in a different pool; it must include waitlisted students taking another offer and passing off their spot for that number to be believable). Large waitlist movement is the reason I suspect the interviewed more students this year—apparently they almost ran out of students last year.

The waitlist e-mail noted that movement varies from year to year so I'm not sure we can expect heavy movement again this year.

BTW, has anyone here sufferend the misfortune of an explicit rejection?

Yeah i got waitlisted too. I earned it....didn't really focus and perform on the essays or the first few stations.

Not too bad actually, i was kind of hoping that I could continue my research before going into meds.

Still, the best analogy for what it feels like is when a girl thinks you're asking her out (but you're not) and rejects you. Even though it's not what you want, you can't help but think "hey...why NOT me?"

hahahha....

DISCLAIMER: the above situation doesn't happen to me as often as i make it sound.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my MCAT was 39S, my preinterview score was 89 or something..fairly high, so i must've really choked on the big day ;) You're welcome guys.

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I have been a lurker for several months now...using the forums feed my voracious anxiety :) Anyway, I thought it could help others to post my stats and results, so here goes -

MCAT: 31O (11 PS, 10 BS, 10 VR)

GPA: 3.87 for the past three years

Degrees: BSc in Biology(Math minor), BASc Honours Computer Engineering

Currently Working as a Software Engineer

EC: Many volunteering activities over the years (currently at the Science Center), play the cello etc.

I am older applicant (28 yrs old), considered IP. First time applying, only applied to the U of C (I really like the shorter program of 3 yrs), and was accepted. Hooray! The truth is I got an interview by the skin of my teeth, but must have done well at the interview itself (hooray for interpersonal skills :D ). I must admit that while I was hoping, I was building myself up to see a waitlist or rejection email.

Congrats to those who have been accepted, good luck to those on the waitlist, and keep trying for those who were turned down.

hey dudes

I'm an Alberta resident in undergrad studies. My GPA was 4 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: S

I was accepted by Calgary. This is my first time applying to this school.

I applied to U of C and U of A schools.

I was interviewed at both schools.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend U of A (I think . . .) as my first choice.

Hi everyone. I'm a 4th yr bcem major @ UofC, just graduated.

1st time applying to this school.

Applied to: UofA, UofS, UofA, UofT, UofM, UofO

Waitlisted: UofS, UofM, UofO

Accepted: UofA, UofC, UofT

Will be declining UofT and UofC, and attending UofA (is the current plan anyways), so the waiting list will move up one here!

GPA: 3.98

pGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 12/9/12 R

EC/Vol: decent amount..CALM class guest speaker on drugs, man the crisis phoneline, mentor a child, science centre, various clubs on campus, various volunteering on campus, and other things. Alot of emphasis on research, during semesters as well as during summer.

Interview: Went decently I think, minus 1 or 2 questions. Essays...I was like, wtf. didn't see what exactly they wanted us to write about, so I just made (and stated) an assumption and went off of it. Worked out I suppose. I felt MMIs in UofS were alot more challenging than the MMI in UofC.

Goodluck everyone! PM me if you want to know more about my experience.

I'm an Alberta resident in graduate studies. My GPA was 3.6 (undergrad) and 4.0 (grad) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12,10)

Verbal: (9,10)

Biological Sciences: (11,11)

Written Sample: (Q,Q)

I was accepted by Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school.

I applied to Western, UofT, Mac, Queen's, UofA and U ofC.

I was interviewed at Queens and U of C.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Queens as my first choice.

:D

I cannot believe that this day has finally come and I get to make this post... it has been a looooong journey and I have been here on this forum for most of it :D

ACCEPTED off the waitlist on wonderful May 28, 2007.

I'm an Alberta resident, now scrambling to finish my MA in London, England. My overall GPA was 3.54, best two years 3.91, strong upward trend.

MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 15

Biological Sciences: 9

Written Sample: O

I was accepted off the waitlist by Calgary. This is my FOURTH time applying to this school. I have never been interviewed here until this year!

I applied to Dalhousie, UofS and U ofC. Interviewed only at UofC (1 interview per year for the last 3 years - Queens, then NOSM, finally UofC)

Calgary feels like my home (lived there for 4 years) and I'm really glad to be graduating before I turn the big 3-0 :P ; I am deleriously happy to be joining the class of 2010!

Hang in there, waitlisters and multiple applicants: it feels like I have been at this forever, but I have had some wonderful experiences along the way, and now that the time has come all the waiting doesn't matter. I am so ready to begin medicine and know that the struggle to get here will only make me a better doctor and a better person. :)

Accepted off of the waitlist.

MCAT: 39S

GPA: I totally forget by this point. My best two years were around 3.96/4 i think. My overall GPA was significantly lower.

I have 48 hours (less now) to accept....but pulling out of my research on such short notice leaves a bad taste in my mouth....though I may just be able to wash that out with some champagne?

Wow! Congrats to everyone who got off the waitlist! I'm hoping that I'll be called or emailed sometime this summer too but I'm preparing for the worst. I was around #80 in the OOP email list, but I thought I did well on the interview and the essay--hopefully good enough to finally give me a chance to fulfill my lifelong dream at Calgary.

Again, congrats to all those who got offers. We all worked hard to get to this point and to all those accepted, you've earned it!

Holy Mother! So amazed to be posting on here. . .

3.7 best two, 3.6 overall.

PS: 13

VR: 10

BS: 13

Writing: S

Volunteered abroad in Mexico, Europe, local hospitals. Involved in hockey, martial arts, guitar, speak Spanish, 2 publications, worked as a biomed technician etc...

Got accepted off the waitlist today, May 30th!! Incredibly feeling my friends. Looking forward to O-week and the rest of the shenanigans to come. Good luck to my now ex-fellow waitlisters. Keep on trucking guys, it's worth it in the end.

I'm a In Province resident, finished my BSc in Molecular Genetics in 2006. My GPA was 3.80 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: Q

I was waitlisted by Calgary. This is my second time applying to this school.

I applied to U of A, U of C, U of S, McGill, Toronto, U of O.

I was interviewed at U of A, U of C, U of S, McGill.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend any as my first choice.