Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Result: Rejected

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 8 VR

ECs: scored slightly above average (according to U of C standards, UBC didn't think so :S)

Year: 4th year

Geography: IP

Interview: Felt bad about a few stations. Knew I was going to get rejected as soon as I walked out of interview. Hard to accept, but its what it is. Interview can make you or break you at this school..   

Grateful for an acceptance.

GPA: 3.84- Masters

MCAT: 9 verbal, low overall

EC's. Very non-trad. I have lots of grey hair. Hospital Social Worker for almost 10 years in mental health, palliative and ER medicine, volunteer therapist, Canada World Youth, forest fire fighting, lots of other volunteer gigs. Never led my life with medicine in mind until 3 years ago, but dedicated to the field of human service and medicine is a fit!!

Second time applying, first time interviewing. The MMI compliments what I do in my work and was the least stressful part of this process. Also interviewed at UBC this year. Calgary sells the program so well, but made a commitment to my family that we would stay in BC if that was ever an option. We will see. 

Guys, its worth it, hang in there. 

Result: Accepted

GPA: 3.87 (finished UG)

MCAT: P 10 V11 B11

Geography: OOP

Interview: Walked out really unsure. When people asked I always said if they told me it was horrible I'd believe them but if they told me it was awesome I'd also believe them, wasn't sure what they wanted but I guess it went well.

Good luck to everyone, it was my second time applying and I know I'm lucky to only need two tries. Keep on trying! 

GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 12/9/12
ECs: nothing unique, all very average stuff, some long term commitments, work, research (no publications).

Year: 4th year UG

Interview: Walked out knowing that my answers were all pretty sub-par and that I would be rejected. This was my first time applying and I didn't expect an interview at all. Only had two weeks of interview practice, which was reflected in my low (but surprising!) MMI score. Grateful to have even gotten an interview in the first place though! 

Congratulations to all those accepted! 

GPA: 3.74

MCAT: V 10

ECs: Okay, pretty average

Year: Graduated master's

Interview: I got  a lot of help this year and thought I did much better than last year but it turns out, I had a 35 percent drop to a terrible percentile! I am wondering whether I got flagged, or whether they accidentally mixed up my interview with the person behind me (she said she absolutely blanked after the first station and failed the whole thing). Anyways, nothing I can do about it. After years of applying, I can no longer afford to play this lottery. Time to move on. :-(

GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 11/13/10
ECs: Nothing special really, but a good diversity of things important to me. 

Year: 4th UG

Interview: Felt good about it!

Will wait on May 12, but 99% accepting this offer. Loved the school at interview day - honoured to be accepted!

wGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 10/10/10
ECs: Non-trad with work experience in healthcare, volunteer/work experience in human rights, advocacy work, hospital volunteering, a few poster presentations (not many). 

Year: Masters/out of school and working 
Geography : IP

Interview: I felt good about over half of them, so-so about a few, and absolutely horrible about one or two.

I hope this gives hope to other non-trads and for those that did not get in..... keep trying. I am proof that it can happen, and that it is meant to happen for different people at different points in their lives. 

Thanks to the premed101 community.....you have kept me sane throughout this long and difficult process....even when I was silently lurking you were there for me! I will pay it forward as much as possible. 

• 4 weeks later...

Accepted off the waitlist May 29

Time Stamp: 11:22am

GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 35, Verbal - 12

ECs: research (with presentations), travel, tutoring, volunteering (with seniors, inner city population, and youth), overall emphasis on mental health.

Interview: Didn't know what to think afterwards, some good and some not so good haha. But overall I felt calm and enjoyed the process!

Geography: 4th year IP

I cannot believe I'm posting this. This feeling is unreal. Whether it's today, next week, or in the weeks to come, I truly hope there is good news for many many more of you on the waitlist!

Accepted off Waitlist May27th (5:42PM EST)

GPA: 3.92, VR9 (total 31)
ECs: Research (2 different positions, 2 years total- no pubs, 1 poster), Many many years athletics, lots of volunteering in different areas of healthcare (hospice, urgent care, nursing home for mentally ill), 2years Ochem TA, various awards in athletics and academics
Interview: Felt very good about it afterwards, except 1 horrific station. Started to doubt myself later on of course
Geography: Graduated 2014, IP

Good luck to remaining waitlisters

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Result: Accepted!!

GPA: 3.62
MCAT: 522 w/130 CARS
ECs: Mostly university related, and research related activities. Some medical shadowing in the US. 

Year: Post-doc in the US

Interview: 3rd time here and I didn't do that well either time, so I was kinda surprised to find out that I got in. I worked hard at improving my interviewing though.

ACCEPTED. I'm so happy!

MCAT: 523 (130 CARS)

wGPA:3.71
ECs: I'd say above average. PM if you want more info (international sports, research, academic awards) <--Only got the chance to do these because I've been rejected so many times lol.

Interview: Thought it went really well, and only started to doubt myself this past week.
Gotta say I was a huge fan of the new format compared to the previous year's, although that's clear bias from me. :)

No email...but Ucan says: Offered Admission

Kinda surreal

EDIT: 

Timestamp: 5:25 pm EST

GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 131 CARS
ECs: I don't think there was anything other-worldly on my app. Lots of project management and leadership. No research and no hospital volunteering for those worried about that stuff. Some unique hobbies and interests. 

Year: Completed UG this year

Interview: Felt mixed about it, was my first med school interview ever and wasn't feeling my best, but I was very honest with my answers, pretty unfiltered and did my best to "see through the prompts" and understand what the questions were really getting at. There were also some awkward moments during my interview, thought I didn't do so hot at a few stations and took extra time reading prompts/thinking outside of the room a few times for those worried about that as well.

GPA: 3.96
MCAT: 516 (129 CARS)
ECs: A lot of very unconventional things (I did a lot of Marketing and Graphic Design work with my Undergraduate Society, and oversaw the Marketing Division's committees and budget), Autism Research for 2 summers, etc. I think the only thing that might be considered very medicine related was a volunteer trip to Nepal. Otherwise pretty unconventional I think? If you're interested in specifics, just PM me.

Year: 3rd Year UG

Interview: Thought it went pretty well, but I didn't practice with a diverse group of individuals so I'm not really sure how I measure up.