Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Accepted as a 4th year IP applicant, but will be turning down my spot to go to the U of A (good news for all of you on the waitlist!)

best two years gpa: 3.95

MCAT: 34Q

Extracurriculars: lots of music and sports, some research experience as part of 4th year honors project

hey there,

accepted as IP applicant...30R on the MCAT (10s in each) and a 3.91/4.0 GPA...applied during 3rd year of my B.Sc. (working on 2 spring courses right now to finish my B.Sc. degree :( and then gonna relax in July) ...pretty excited to start med school in Aug!

congratulations to those who were accepted at u of c! see you all in august!

For current med school students:

1)what kind of a PDA do you receive? do you use it a lot or does it depend on the class and prof?

2)will there be some sort of mentoring program for us to ask tons more questions during our first year?

3)also, i noticed in the O-week schedule that there is a Placement Exam with 3 parts...what does this entail?

For current med school students:

1)what kind of a PDA do you receive? do you use it a lot or does it depend on the class and prof?

2)will there be some sort of mentoring program for us to ask tons more questions during our first year?

3)also, i noticed in the O-week schedule that there is a Placement Exam with 3 parts...what does this entail?

1) We get a Palm T|X. The status of the PDA program was evaluated this past week, so I am not sure whether you can count on updates or anything like that for next year. I mainly use it for scheduling, so that I can keep a copy handy during hospital sessions and such.

2) Yes! We're all very excited about it. You'll get more details in the first few weeks of school.

3) Yes, there is a Placement Exam (for small groups, I believe). Don't worry, it's no big deal - read: do not study for it during your summer holidays!!! Enjoy them, because they might just be your last. :)

1) We get a Palm T|X. The status of the PDA program was evaluated this past week, so I am not sure whether you can count on updates or anything like that for next year. I mainly use it for scheduling, so that I can keep a copy handy during hospital sessions and such.

Pretty much the same for me. Really, the Palm T|Xs aren't of that much use. Though some do use them to search reference notes, drug databases, etc.

The P.D.A. program is very much in the air right now. It might disappear entirely, or you might end up with something much cooler (I won't say what for fear of setting expectations too high).

2) Yes! We're all very excited about it. You'll get more details in the first few weeks of school.

In fact, you should be assigned a mentor within a couple of weeks!

3) Yes, there is a Placement Exam (for small groups, I believe). Don't worry, it's no big deal - read: do not study for it during your summer holidays!!! Enjoy them, because they might just be your last. :)

Many of the exams we have at UofC med school don't count for anything and are just for self-assessment. This is one of those exams. It really won't matter. It will help to assign which seminar group you are a part of (so we pair students who have a strong background in medical knowledge with those who don't) and so that you are able to familiarize yourself a little with the format of examinations we'll use.

If you are a first time applier who got in the first time around, you are so freaking lucky to not have to go through rejection as it can really tear up and destroy your confidence.

It took me three times before I got an interview. And then I got in off the waitlist a week before classes started. It sucks not to get in, but don't get too dejected about it. Life goes on, and you might get in next time.

Interview: Went really well (study UofC student code of ethics!). Big Ups to interviewers who actually respond to what you say with positive feedback...keeps you talking and keeps your ideas flowing rather than talking to a brick wall - which happens at a few stations and nearly all of the stations at the U of A.

Interviewers are actually instructed not to provide positive feedback. Interviewers can nod and say neutral phrases like "ok", but nothing positive. Don't be hard on the interviewers—they were just trying to follow the rules!

So I guess I'm coming your way Calgary. I am totally going to fall in love with Friday night shinny! Honestly, hockey made me fall in love with U of C. U of A doesn't even do regular friday shinny!!!

It's actually Friday afternoon. Sometimes there's mid-week night time hockey. If you're in Calgary, PM me and I can get you in touch with the guy who organizes hockey—as an incoming student, we'd be happy to let you start coming out if you're that keen!

Interviewers are actually instructed not to provide positive feedback. Interviewers can nod and say neutral phrases like "ok", but nothing positive. Don't be hard on the interviewers—they were just trying to follow the rules!

at my first MMI station this year, as I finished, the interviewer told me I had done very well, and good luck. It was a huge change from the previous year and all the other stations, but set the tone for the day. Nice touch, and highly appreciated!

at my first MMI station this year, as I finished, the interviewer told me I had done very well, and good luck. It was a huge change from the previous year and all the other stations, but set the tone for the day. Nice touch, and highly appreciated!

That's not fair. I didn't get nothing like that :(

One dude was almost falling asleep!

some of the other stations were much different...i had one guy roll his eyes multiple times while i was talking this year and was very difficult to understand (thick accent).

or last year when the lady told me to stop talking with 2 minutes left b/c i had answered all her questions.

"just sit here and be quiet (try and say something else)...no, just sit here and be quiet."

they always seem to come near the end too...doesn't leave a great feeling afterwards.

Interviewers are instructed to say pretty much nothing during the interviews (just words like "ok" so that you get some "feedback" that someone's listening). I guess standardization is a problem—those negative and positive experiences really shouldn't have happened.

I personally thought my interviewers were about as standardized as humanly possible - I mean, some seemed to be taking their "rules" more seriously than others, but generally I never got a "great answer!" or anyone falling asleep. As an aside, it seemed like the younger interviewers (students? residents?) "got" their role a lot more.

I'm an OOP, finished my 3rd year of undergrad. My GPA was 3.95ish and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (11)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (14)

Written Sample: (Q)

Rejected pre-interview to U of T, Queen’s, Mac and Ottawa. Only had an interview to U of C, currently wait-listed…anyone else think it’s retarded that we wait ~9 months only to be put on a damn wait-list, told to wait another 2.5 months and aren’t even told how likely it is we’ll get in? ie. And I quote, “I am not permitted to disclose your rank on the waiting list, so please do not ask.” From the wait-list letter. This is my first time applying.

Of all the schools I applied to I originally wanted to go anywhere but Calgary. BUT, after going to the interview I decided that I would go to U of T because it’s home, but really wanted to go to Calgary over all others.

I would really like to know if anyone has been accepted off of the wait-list yet for OOP…

Hi Guys, long-time lurker here... this forum has been such a great source of knowledge for me, its probably time I started contributing!

I'm an Alberta resident with a BSc Honors in Neuroscience degree. I just my finished my 5th year of studies (upgraded some pre-reqs, got my degree last year). My GPA for U of C was 3.65 (best two years) and my MCAT was 31Q (11, 9, Q, 11)

I applied to: U of C, U of A

Interviewed at: U of C, U of A

Accepted at: U of C Waitlist: U of A

This was my second time applying, was rejected at both schools post-interview last year.

Just a quick note: My GPA was really low in my first year, but displayed an upward trend which I think helped a lot (2.94, 3.49, 3.58, 3.71), along with being in a difficult program.

I think my EC's probably boosted me a lot too (co-founder/executive of a few campus clubs, vice president of a community organization, volunteered in Africa for two months, hospital volunteering and lots of shadowing, 3 years clinical research w. 1st author publication, an invited review and various poster presentations).

Anyways, I just wanted to post this stuff to show that it is possible to get in without a sky-high GPA and MCAT. Hopefully some of you will find it encouraging!

Anyways, I just wanted to post this stuff to show that it is possible to get in without a sky-high GPA and MCAT.

Actually, you can even have a sky-high GPA and MCAT and not get in. I got waitlisted with a 3.987cGPA and 37Q MCAT score. I am a 3rd year IP student with a BSc in Biology. Although I must say, considering how yucky my interview was, I was surprised and excited at receiving the waitlist letter.

I think the best student would be one that has both an excellent mind and an excellent soul. Of course, if there is not enough of one, then the person as a whole will suffer and might not make the best doctor.

The P.D.A. program is very much in the air right now. It might disappear entirely, or you might end up with something much cooler (I won't say what for fear of setting expectations too high).

I have some bad news. It looks like the P.D.A. program is changing such that you won't be issued P.D.A.s at the start of classes in August. :-( Instead, you'll probably get your P.D.A.s a couple of moths before clerkship and there will now be a sophisticated training program at the time so that you get maximum value from your P.D.A.s. Which P.D.A. you'll get at that time is up in the air. It could well be something much better than the Palm T|Xs.

Sorry to deliver the bad news! We learnt of this yesterday and I didn't want anyone to get their hopes up for a P.D.A. only to have them dashed! :'( Also in case anyone was making a decision on your school based on the P.D.A., now you know (I strongly advise you to focus on things other than a P.D.A. in choosing your school regardless—a P.D.A. isn't that important in the grad scheme of things).

Just made it off the wait-list.

Stats:

B.Kin. major (yeah it is pretty slack compared to some of what others endure):D

GPA Year 1: 3.97 Year 2: 3.97 Year 3: 3.94 Year 4: 4.0

MCAT: PS- 9, BS-9 Verb- 9, Written Sample- O (the scores are dreadful-probably why I was on the wait-list):(

EC: A considerable amount of volunteering in hospitals and NPOs. Played varsity football. Worked at Coyotes, Cowboys and a number of other clubs as a doorman (bouncer). :cool:

hey there,

hopefully this isn't a dumb question but i thought the PDAs were used to store your lectures and the podcasts, etc. do you know how this will work for the new class?

were the PDAs just not being used that much or too many technical issues?

I have some bad news. It looks like the P.D.A. program is changing such that you won't be issued P.D.A.s at the start of classes in August. :-( Instead, you'll probably get your P.D.A.s a couple of moths before clerkship and there will now be a sophisticated training program at the time so that you get maximum value from your P.D.A.s. Which P.D.A. you'll get at that time is up in the air. It could well be something much better than the Palm T|Xs.

Sorry to deliver the bad news! We learnt of this yesterday and I didn't want anyone to get their hopes up for a P.D.A. only to have them dashed! :'( Also in case anyone was making a decision on your school based on the P.D.A., now you know (I strongly advise you to focus on things other than a P.D.A. in choosing your school regardless—a P.D.A. isn't that important in the grad scheme of things).

hey there,

hopefully this isn't a dumb question but i thought the PDAs were used to store your lectures and the podcasts, etc. do you know how this will work for the new class?

were the PDAs just not being used that much or too many technical issues?

Please start a new thread for questions like these. This thread is for accepted/waitlisted/rejected posts.

Just made it off the wait-list.

Stats:

B.Kin. major (yeah it is pretty slack compared to some of what others endure):D

GPA Year 1: 3.97 Year 2: 3.97 Year 3: 3.94 Year 4: 4.0

MCAT: PS- 9, BS-9 Verb- 9, Written Sample- O (the scores are dreadful-probably why I was on the wait-list):(

EC: A considerable amount of volunteering in hospitals and NPOs. Played varsity football. Worked at Coyotes, Cowboys and a number of other clubs as a doorman (bouncer). :cool:

Hey Homer! May I ask when you found out? And was it a phone call? Thanks!