Premed 101 Forums

Bursary Email / Schulich Scholarship

Hello,

This morning I received an email informing me that I've been granted a small bursary. While I am grateful, I also applied for the Schulich Scholarship, and my combined family income is quite low (< $50K). 

Does the receipt of this email mean that I'm no longer being considered for the Schulich Scholarship? Or is it the case that they can make a determination on the Schulich Scholarship at a later date and withdraw the Bursary offer?

Thank you 

2 hours ago, b.pierce said:

Does anyone know when you find out if you will be receiving financial aid or not?

If you're interested in more info you can call the office of the registrar - they are in charge of schulich scholarships and also a good portion of other available admissions bursaries. At least that's what they told me when I called the schulich admissions office.

1 hour ago, allmight said:

I received the admission bursary email yesterday, like ysera, with similar family income. 

Can confirm, received a bursary with a decent amount - and they told me via phone that it has no bearing on other scholarship applications.

4 hours ago, ysera said:

What was your bursary amount, if you don't mind me asking? over / under $5K?

Under 5k, my parents make a decent amount so I didn't expect anything at all, but I'm technically an independent. They gave me in the 3-4k range.

7 hours ago, krwn said:

Under 5k, my parents make a decent amount so I didn't expect anything at all, but I'm technically an independent. They gave me in the 3-4k range.

That's funny because I got in the 2K range and like I said in the original post my parents make not much at all. I probably messed up one of the forms haha. Hopefully I get the Schulich Scholarship. 

4 hours ago, ysera said:

That's funny because I got in the 2K range and like I said in the original post my parents make not much at all. I probably messed up one of the forms haha. Hopefully I get the Schulich Scholarship. 

I received 2k range as well with similar parental income to you. Interesting stuff

6 hours ago, ysera said:

I also declared as an independent but (6 years out of high school) but I declared my parent's income regardless. That might be the reasoning?

On 5/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, krwn said:

I also declared as an independent but (6 years out of high school) but I declared my parent's income regardless. That might be the reasoning?

I am independent as well so I don't think that's it. 

46 minutes ago, allmight said:

I am 6 years out of high school, and independent (don't live at home) as well so I don't think that's it. 

Were you employed when you applied? I was employed and I think I reported my monthly income and back account balance. That might be it.

Any way I'm too excited about being admitted to care about a few grand in bursaries lol. Gonna wait and see what happens with the Schulich Scholarship.

18 hours ago, ysera said:

Were you employed when you applied? I was employed and I think I reported my monthly income and back account balance. That might be it.

Any way I'm too excited about being admitted to care about a few grand in bursaries lol. Gonna wait and see what happens with the Schulich Scholarship.

Same! Best to you, I will say I did get on the lower end of the 3k mark but I guess they have their own method of calculation. Best to you with the Schulich Scholarship as well!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 4:09 PM, ysera said:

No, I was planning on calling them to ask. The email said the amount would be deducted automatically but my tuition bill is still 25k plus the 1k deposit I already paid...

Super, super late addition to the discussion but I am also part of class of 2023, similar family situation (total income <50k), got ~2.5k in bursaries

You probably have sorted this out by now as the deadline is Aug 1 but I just paid enough so that my amount remaining from 1st installment is the amount of my bursary (which "should be deducted from 1st installment") I called financial aid dept and they said that is the correct thing to do (Using my LOC to pay so I do not want to pay more interest than I have to lol).

If you don't me also asking, have you received an official confirmation from Western that all conditions have been met and we are "officially" accepted as medical students? I have not. I know they're busy with verifying all the documents atm but I'm still paranoid that something may go wrong in the process. My whole family moved to London with me and it would be devastating to be told "oops, you're not in, big sike" late Aug.

1 hour ago, Vivieeeeeee said:

Super, super late addition to the discussion but I am also part of class of 2023, similar family situation (total income <50k), got ~2.5k in bursaries

You probably have sorted this out by now as the deadline is Aug 1 but I just paid enough so that my amount remaining from 1st installment is the amount of my bursary (which "should be deducted from 1st installment") I called financial aid dept and they said that is the correct thing to do (Using my LOC to pay so I do not want to pay more interest than I have to lol).

If you don't me also asking, have you received an official confirmation from Western that all conditions have been met and we are "officially" accepted as medical students? I have not. I know they're busy with verifying all the documents atm but I'm still paranoid that something may go wrong in the process. My whole family moved to London with me and it would be devastating to be told "oops, you're not in, big sike" late Aug.

No i have not received such an email. I paid the entire first instalment just to be sure, the interest on the 2 grand works out to a couple bucks a year so its not that big of a deal. Hopefully i can deduct the bursary from the second instalment, or better yet get the schulich scholarship.

if you do everything on the checklist there is a 0% chance youll be kicked out because of a clerical error on their part. 

19 hours ago, ysera said:

No i have not received such an email. I paid the entire first instalment just to be sure, the interest on the 2 grand works out to a couple bucks a year so its not that big of a deal. Hopefully i can deduct the bursary from the second instalment, or better yet get the schulich scholarship.

if you do everything on the checklist there is a 0% chance youll be kicked out because of a clerical error on their part. 

Haha thank you for the reassurance. I needed this :) Fingers crossed for the scholarship!

Did you guys get an email telling you to fill out a questionnaire to explain why your police check / health screening are late? I did both weeks ago and have the documentation to prove it to them, so I wonder why they sent me that email. I contacted them already, just wondering if anyone else got it also.

7 hours ago, ysera said:

Did you guys get an email telling you to fill out a questionnaire to explain why your police check / health screening are late? I did both weeks ago and have the documentation to prove it to them, so I wonder why they sent me that email. I contacted them already, just wondering if anyone else got it also.

So apparently they send you this email even if you have a partial health clearance... kind of stupid to give you a shock like that when we’re supposed to be able to start school with a partial clearance.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:07 AM, ysera said:

So apparently they send you this email even if you have a partial health clearance... kind of stupid to give you a shock like that when we’re supposed to be able to start school with a partial clearance.

Interesting. I sent my stuff to Western in early July so I did not receive such an email. But I feel you on the shock factor - still no official letter of acceptance (I feel there just isn't going to be one at this point) and then you receive this type of stuff.