Premed 101 Forums

I completed by BSc in bio at ubc last year.

I applied to ubc med school (just ubc...yeah that was stupid I know) and didn't get in. As a back-up I also applied to ubc pharmacy which I am currently waiting to see if I got in. 

I'm torn between whether I should do a year of pharmacy and boost my gpa a bit, or continue to build my extracurriculars.

I'm aware my activities are seriously lacking and my grades aren't good either, but my NAQ is the reason I'm contemplating just staying out of school and focusing on my jobs and volunteering. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Take a good look at yourself and think about what you want in life. I would not commit to another professional program for 4 years if medicine is what you really want. Instead, just take a gap year (or 2) or masters (to boost GPA) and keep on applying. Your MCAT should help offset your low GPA. 

3 hours ago, WeDayDream said:

Take a good look at yourself and think about what you want in life. I would not commit to another professional program for 4 years if medicine is what you really want. Instead, just take a gap year (or 2) or masters (to boost GPA) and keep on applying. Your MCAT should help offset your low GPA. 

Thanks for the response!

So you wouldn't rec pharmacy...even if i only intended to do one or two years of it to boost my gpa? I don't have an interest in resesarch so a masters isn't appealing to me.

But I feel like I have to go back to school to increase my gpa if I want a chance.

I'm not stuck on pharmacy though cause its pretty expensive. Im also thinking about a post bacc in criminology at sfu, or maybe doing getting a diploma/certificate in something where I can actually get a job right away (to save up for med) like nuclear medicine radiation therapy.

I'm sorry but you taking a spot from someone who really wants to become a pharmacist just doesn't sit well with me. If you have zero intention of even completing the program, please just do a master's or something. We need pharmacists not people using pharmacy as a stepping stone...

2 minutes ago, xiphoid said:

I'm not sure going into a professional school is the way you want to go if your sole intention is to boost your GPA. In my opinion, there are much easier and less stressful ways to do that than doing 1-2 years of pharmacy school.

Yeah that's very true. It's because of poor planning on my part that I'm considering it. If i get in to pharmacy I can start building my gpa this September, but if I choose a different route I'll have to wait till September 2020 (cause I pretty much missed all the application deadlines for everything else by now). 

If you don't mind me asking what other routes would you consider? 

1 minute ago, WeDayDream said:

I'm sorry but you taking a spot from someone who really wants to become a pharmacist just doesn't sit well with me. If you have zero intention of even completing the program, please just do a master's or something. We need pharmacists not people using pharmacy as a stepping stone...

I though pharmacy was a saturated field though....

But I definitely have heard of that point before. I don't want to take a spot from someone else. But I'm considering this my back up. Say at my 2nd year i still haven't been accepted anywhere. I would likely concede and continue with my pharmacy degree and become a pharmacist.