Premed 101 Forums

Been in a similar situation. My advice is as follows, hindsight is 20/20 of course. Hopefully you get off the waitlist, but if not:

Do something that you would be happy either permanently or temporarily doing as a job/career while trying to get into medical school. The fact you can get interviews mean you will more than likely get in eventually (hopefully next attempt). Just don't hurt your GPA :) .

Took me three tries to get in, interviews each year. Was definitely a more stressful process than all of medical school/residency matching. This experience will only make you tougher/more resilient.

All the best :)

On 5/28/2019 at 10:19 AM, Peaka said:

Hi all!

I just completed my UG and got waitlisted. I like to prepare for the worst and am considering doing a Master. My options for a master is a 1 year course based in education of health professionals and the second is in cellular biology (typical 2 year research master). I am also considering just finding a job for the year.

Which option do you think would be best? Any other recommendations?

What universities don't consider your application if you apply in the middle of a master? I hear you need to complete your master by June how would that work for course base?

Thanks for your help!

If you're doing a Master's simply to improve your med school app, then don't do it. It won't do anything for you. If its something you're genuinely interested in as a backup should medicine fail, then go for it. Most uni's won't consider your application unless you plan on completing your degree prior to matriculation. Not sure if they've changed their policies but Mac and, I believe, UCalgary don't care whether you complete your Master's or not. Just make sure to verify if this is still the case though.

• xyzz changed the title to .