Premed 101 Forums

How would you describe a successful 3rd year applicant?

Hello everyone, 

I just finished first year in Life Sci at McMaster with a 3.91 GPA and various extracurriculars and volunteering experiences, and have just started some research. I'll be going into biochem next year, and am not sure if I am in a good position or not to think about taking the MCAT in the summer after 2nd year, to apply to some medical schools in Ontario for 3rd year. What would you guys consider "enough" to warrant spending money on 3rd-year applications? 

I can chime in. If your GPA + MCAT is strong, just apply. Here's why. 

If you receive an interview in 3rd year it means your overall application is very strong. This is good, keep on doing what you are doing. If you do not receive an interview, see if you can add one or two activities into your resume. 4th year is when you apply everywhere.

Once you get an interview, you are in the same pool as everyone else so just nail the interview. 

Aim for a mix of long term and short term activities. I tend to stop doing things when I feel like I am no longer learning from it or cannot contribute to it.