Premed 101 Forums

7 hours ago, throwawayasdf99 said:

Hi everyone, 

I know posts like these can get a bit annoying, or even come across the wrong way but I was hoping to get some input on choosing between UBC or Ottawa medical school. There did not seem to be too many posts comparing these schools. 

Below are some factors that would make me consider each school:

UBC:

- The site I got placed to is where I did my undergrad, so I am moderately familiar with it. I could also live at home as we are very close to the campus. 

- I have built some networks in BC and these professional connections may help down the line? 

- I'm used to the mild weather, city, etc 

Ottawa: 

- I've lived at home my whole life and while I am lucky to have a very good relationship with my family, living in a new city would be a good experience. My parents probably deserve some space as well. With that said, living away will have significant challenges and drawbacks of course. I'm concerned that if I stay in the same city as family during medical school, if it would make it more difficult to transition to potentially moving to a new city down the road for jobs, residency etc. 

Overall, I am in a lucky position where costs aren't the biggest factor (although still important) and the curriculums seem pretty similar (unless anyone here thinks otherwise, and feel free to share!). I'm thinking the main thing here is whether or not moving away would be worth leaving a very nice and comfortable city where I have my professional and family networks. I'm also wondering if going to Ottawa might make it difficult to come back to BC down the road. 

Thank you so much!

I'd probably choose UBC to be honest. It's good to have a support network close to you and getting a residency in BC is probably more likely. Go to school where you want to practice is generally what I've seen people say on here.

If you stayed in your provinces school, UBC, could you not move out? Gain some independence? Theres no reason you can't ween yourself from your parents and still stay at home. Then you have them as a built in support network if you struggle living alone(or with roomates) and need someone to cook an occasional meal, drop of care packages, or if you want to crash at their place once in a while.  Gaining independence is a good thing, especially as a medical student who will transition to taking care of patients...and being responsible for others. So its a good idea to learn to take care of yourself now with all the safety and supports around you.

If you dont think you'd do that while staying at hometown school because financial aspects would persuade you "i can save so much living at home!", then go to Ottawa and make a bigger move. But strongly consider the first option.

3 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

If you stayed in your provinces school, UBC, could you not move out? Gain some independence? Theres no reason you can't ween yourself from your parents and still stay at home. Then you have them as a built in support network if you struggle living alone(or with roomates) and need someone to cook an occasional meal, drop of care packages, or if you want to crash at their place once in a while.  Gaining independence is a good thing, especially as a medical student who will transition to taking care of patients...and being responsible for others. So its a good idea to learn to take care of yourself now with all the safety and supports around you.

If you dont think you'd do that while staying at hometown school because financial aspects would persuade you "i can save so much living at home!", then go to Ottawa and make a bigger move. But strongly consider the first option.

22 minutes ago, VigoVirgo said:

I'd probably choose UBC to be honest. It's good to have a support network close to you and getting a residency in BC is probably more likely. Go to school where you want to practice is generally what I've seen people say on here.

Thanks a bunch for the advice! Both of you were very helpful. 

The slowly gaining independence thing while having a safety net thing is a great point, and certainly not impossible. The financial persuasion is a possibility, but Ottawa tuition isn't cheap (more expensive than UBC) so that would be very expensive too. 

In hindsight this might have been a stupid thread lol, but will sleep on it and make a decision :)

2 minutes ago, throwawayasdf99 said:

Thanks a bunch for the advice! Both of you were very helpful. 

The slowly gaining independence thing while having a safety net thing is a great point, and certainly not impossible. The financial persuasion is a possibility, but Ottawa tuition isn't cheap (more expensive than UBC) so that would be very expensive too. 

In hindsight this might have been a stupid thread lol, but will sleep on it and make a decision :)

Not a stupid thread! Both are good schools and it's a smart idea to weigh the pros and cons of each. Deciding where to spend 4 years of your life is a big decision. Good luck in medical school regardless :)!

• 2 weeks later...