Premed 101 Forums

Tips for DAT

Hey everyone,

I'm considering applying to dental school and have no idea where to start in terms of DAT. What books would you recommend? Are there any free pdfs floating around? Given that I have already studied for the MCAT extensively last summer and did relatively well on it, how much investment/hours would DAT take compared to MCAT (studied 3 months full time)? I am thinking of writing it this November, but will probably have to start studying soon as school starts up for me again in September.

Thank you!

On 6/4/2019 at 12:28 PM, cjalcyris said:

Hey everyone,

I'm considering applying to dental school and have no idea where to start in terms of DAT. What books would you recommend? Are there any free pdfs floating around? Given that I have already studied for the MCAT extensively last summer and did relatively well on it, how much investment/hours would DAT take compared to MCAT (studied 3 months full time)? I am thinking of writing it this November, but will probably have to start studying soon as school starts up for me again in September.

Thank you!

Most people study for about 2-3 months only because the DAT is offered in the middle of the semester so you don't get much time preparing while balancing classes. So preparing now is a good idea since it'll give you a solid 3 months of studying before classes start in the fall.

I would start by taking a look at the CDA manual which you can purchase from the CDA website or you can get a free PDF version from the Canadian DAT facebook group. In terms of study materials, I personally used DATCrusher, Chad's videos, and the purple kaplan book. I would highly recommend those and that's all you need imo. Just make sure you don't leave the PAT til the very end, it's something you have really practice for.  

On 6/6/2019 at 1:54 AM, Starburst said:

Most people study for about 2-3 months only because the DAT is offered in the middle of the semester so you don't get much time preparing while balancing classes. So preparing now is a good idea since it'll give you a solid 3 months of studying before classes start in the fall.

I would start by taking a look at the CDA manual which you can purchase from the CDA website or you can get a free PDF version from the Canadian DAT facebook group. In terms of study materials, I personally used DATCrusher, Chad's videos, and the purple kaplan book. I would highly recommend those and that's all you need imo. Just make sure you don't leave the PAT til the very end, it's something you have really practice for.  

what Canadian DAT facebook group are you talking about? I tried to look but couldn't find it

On 6/6/2019 at 1:54 AM, Starburst said:

Thanks so much! How would you suggest breaking up content review vs. practice? Should I be doing some practice problems as I go along? How long should content review take if I am a science major?