Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Ottawau Changed their prerequisites


Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, hey 123 said:

Anybody saw Ottawau changed their prerequisites on their website to: 

  • 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences
  • 6 units in Biology or Physiology
  • 3 units in Organic Chemistry
  • 3 units in Chemistry
  • 3 units in Biochemistry
  • 3 units in Statistics

yep my HSS friends who took mineral chemistry haha nope, think they also removed completely the ref letter cause i can't found it anymore in the app process

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, destiny deoxys said:

i mean you need to have 2 class within the pre req (prob even psychology) that as a lab or 2 class that is entirely lab based (like orgo 2 lab)

How do you know this? Where does it say

So if you have two general chemistry courses both with lab you're OK for the lab requirement?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KinderSurprise said:

Does this only apply to next cycle?

If your concern is whether it would apply to the current cycle, the answer would be absolutely not. Medical schools would never subject already accepted/waitlisted applicants to new eligibility criteria mid-cycle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RiderSx said:

If your concern is whether it would apply to the current cycle, the answer would be absolutely not. Medical schools would never subject already accepted/waitlisted applicants to new eligibility criteria mid-cycle.

Thank you so much. Yeah I was concerned about those currently accepted or waitlisted. Logically, makes total sense but I'm always paranoid that somehow something might change because the competition is so tough. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GlassHalfFull said:

Did they remove the lab requirement? I see the lab requirement section but there's like no info

Course requirements:

  • 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences
  • 6 units in Biology or Physiology
  • 3 units in Organic Chemistry
  • 3 units in Chemistry
  • 3 units in Biochemistry
  • 3 units in Statistics

 

Lab requirement:

  • The laboratory requirements can be met by either having 6-units-worth of courses (indicated above in item 1) that include a laboratory component and/or by having completed additional course(s) up to 6 units that are exclusively laboratory-based. 

Out of all the courses listed above, you only need to complete two labs.  The changes are for the upcoming application cycle in July 2019.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MedCan65 said:

Course requirements:

  • 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences
  • 6 units in Biology or Physiology
  • 3 units in Organic Chemistry
  • 3 units in Chemistry
  • 3 units in Biochemistry
  • 3 units in Statistics

 

Lab requirement:

  • The laboratory requirements can be met by either having 6-units-worth of courses (indicated above in item 1) that include a laboratory component and/or by having completed additional course(s) up to 6 units that are exclusively laboratory-based. 

Out of all the courses listed above, you only need to complete two labs.  The changes are for the upcoming application cycle in July 2019.

 

So based on this understanding, if you have organic chemistry with lab, and general chemistry with lab, you meet the lab requirements?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, GlassHalfFull said:

So based on this understanding, if you have organic chemistry with lab, and general chemistry with lab, you meet the lab requirements?

That is correct. However, if your school offers their lab components separately (e.g. Waterloo), you'll likely need to combine 4 of your separate lab courses since they're worth 1.5 units most of the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys think this will be set in stone (the organic chemistry requirement)? I know this cycle people were concerned about the same thing because Ottawa had a page saying you needed organic chemistry and another page saying two biochemistry courses would be sufficient for pre-requisites. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 2:31 PM, sb88 said:

Do you guys think this will be set in stone (the organic chemistry requirement)? I know this cycle people were concerned about the same thing because Ottawa had a page saying you needed organic chemistry and another page saying two biochemistry courses would be sufficient for pre-requisites. 

When OMSAS applications open up in July, if you see the same information reflective on both OMSAS and Ottawa's website, it is set in stone. TBH, since it's already a month out until applications, there is a high likelihood that Ottawa will maintain what they have on their current website. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

When OMSAS applications open up in July, if you see the same information reflective on both OMSAS and Ottawa's website, it is set in stone. TBH, since it's already a month out until applications, there is a high likelihood that Ottawa will maintain what they have on their current website. 

Yup that's what I assumed. I emailed them just to re-confirm and they basically just told me that whatever the website says will reflect what is required for the upcoming cycle. So it does look like Orgo will now be required and that the previous two biochem rule no longer exists. Hope this helps everyone 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Calypsoo said:

Would any type of statistics count or would It be limited to bio stats? Cause I know there's stats in psychology, economics, math and etc.

I think any statistic course but I am just making an assumption. For example, I asked if they would take cell biology for the 6 units of physiology/biology requirement and they said yes, so I think this would also apply to any statistic course in general 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sb88 said:

I think any statistic course but I am just making an assumption. For example, I asked if they would take cell biology for the 6 units of physiology/biology requirement and they said yes, so I think this would also apply to any statistic course in general 

Yea, I'll make sure to email them because they didn't even specify it. When I saw that they added statistics I was shocked and surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

When I log into OMSAS 2020, I see the following:

Required prerequisite courses for the University of Ottawa:

  • 1 full-year course (or 2 semester-long courses) in general biology/zoology, including laboratory session
  • 1 full-year course (or 2 semester-long courses) in humanities/social sciences (language courses are not accepted)
  • The equivalent of 2 full-year courses (or 4 semester-long courses) from the following chemistry courses:
    1. General biochemistry with or without laboratory session
    2. General chemistry with laboratory session
    3. Organic chemistry with laboratory session
  • For courses in progress, enter "IPR" as the grade

OMSAS 2020

So it seems like things haven't changed much, have they? Is this a mistake? I ask because I have two biochemistry courses and two chemistry courses that meet the 70% avg, but my organic chemistry course does not. Any insight on this? Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TheDarkPassenger said:

When I log into OMSAS 2020, I see the following:

Required prerequisite courses for the University of Ottawa:

  • 1 full-year course (or 2 semester-long courses) in general biology/zoology, including laboratory session
  • 1 full-year course (or 2 semester-long courses) in humanities/social sciences (language courses are not accepted)
  • The equivalent of 2 full-year courses (or 4 semester-long courses) from the following chemistry courses:
    1. General biochemistry with or without laboratory session
    2. General chemistry with laboratory session
    3. Organic chemistry with laboratory session
  • For courses in progress, enter "IPR" as the grade

OMSAS 2020

So it seems like things haven't changed much, have they? Is this a mistake? I ask because I have two biochemistry courses and two chemistry courses that meet the 70% avg, but my organic chemistry course does not. Any insight on this? Thanks!

I believe that information is dated and they have not updated it yet. The new prereq requirements are stated both on the OMSAS app guide and on ottawa's website. I'd give OMSAS a call and confirm though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello 

I also want to clarify the eligibility req on the Uof Ottawa site

  • 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences
  • 6 units in Biology or Physiology
  • 3 units in Organic Chemistry
  • 3 units in Chemistry
  • 3 units in Biochemistry
  • 3 units in Statistics

I have taken a few chem courses throughout my bachelors degree. I have taken an organic chem course + lab (total 4 credits taken in summer), plus a physical chem course, no lab (3 credits). These were all over 70%. Do I meet requirements? I have also taken 2 first year chem courses total of 6 credits which include lab but I didn't get 70% in them.  

 

Also, does it matter what kind of "lab' it was? does it have to be a chem lab? For example I took a Bio course in first year that is a lab course (2 credits) plus I did  multiple 3 credit bio courses which would add up to more than 6 credits. does this meet requirement for lab??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...