Hello 

I also want to clarify the eligibility req on the Uof Ottawa site

• 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences
  • 6 units in Biology or Physiology
  • 3 units in Organic Chemistry
  • 3 units in Chemistry
  • 3 units in Biochemistry
  • 3 units in Statistics

I have taken a few chem courses throughout my bachelors degree. I have taken an organic chem course + lab (total 4 credits taken in summer), plus a physical chem course, no lab (3 credits). These were all over 70%. Do I meet requirements? I have also taken 2 first year chem courses total of 6 credits which include lab but I didn't get 70% in them.  

Also, does it matter what kind of "lab' it was? does it have to be a chem lab? For example I took a Bio course in first year that is a lab course (2 credits) plus I did  multiple 3 credit bio courses which would add up to more than 6 credits. does this meet requirement for lab??

A lab would be something associated with the courses above OR an exclusive laboratory course. For example, at Waterloo first year in fall, CHEM 120 for example is divided into CHEM 120 lecture and CHEM 120L (which is the lab). CHEM 120L would be considered an exclusive laboratory course in this case counting 1.5 units for 6 units. 

Your separate laboratory courses must meet the minimum prerequisite requirement of a letter grade B. But note, a B doesn't necessarily correspond to a 70% on the OMSAS table. You need to check what is considered a B for your home university.

43 minutes ago, Carson K said:

I do not have a biochemistry course. Last year I applied with 2 organic chemistry courses (with lab if it matters) and no biochem. Does this mean that I am no longer eligible to apply?

Unfortunately, yes. You require 3 units in biochemistry now to fulfill the requirement.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, Clement27 said:

The required mark for these prerequisite are 70%, does the specific grades matter and involved in the selection process, or does just the fact that you got a 70% matter?

What matters is that you got at least 70% and therefore those courses can be used to meet the requirement. Beyond that the exact grade you got will play into the GPA calculation just like any other course.

5 hours ago, AB97 said:

Did you find anything out?

That's the response I got, wasn't as straightforward at first but then I took it in that they said it should be in the title of the course or the description of it.

Hello,

I wish to inform you that we no longer have course descriptions for our prerequisites since we are looking for courses whose title mentions the specific course or the description of the specific course in the outline. It is the candidate's responsibility to verify the prerequisites.

Course requirements mandatory:

• 6 units in humanities /Social Sciences
  • 6 units in Biology or Physiology
  • 3 units in Organic Chemistry
  • 3 units in Chemistry
  • 3 units in Biochemistry
  • 3 units in Statistics

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, CardiacArrhythmia said:

That is correct. However, if your school offers their lab components separately (e.g. Waterloo), you'll likely need to combine 4 of your separate lab courses since they're worth 1.5 units most of the time. 

When you are inputing the courses on OMSAS for Ottawa,  how do you indicate that the class had a lecture and lab component to it? 

On 9/19/2019 at 1:58 PM, candycane1 said:

When you are inputing the courses on OMSAS for Ottawa,  how do you indicate that the class had a lecture and lab component to it? 

Are they under one course code - if so, you just have to input the course.If they are separate components (i.e. two different course code) you should input them both. Regardless, admissions will double check your transcripts to ensure you did meet the prerequisites.

• 1 year later...