Premed 101 Forums

INDS 123J1 Research fundamentals

Elgar

Hello,

I just received the course registration email, and I saw on the yearly schedule that there is a course on research fundamentals, and I was wondering if it was possible to be exempted from it if we have already done graduate studies. From the description on the website it seems pretty basic, but maybe there is a bit more to it than databases and formulating hypothesis? 

So I'm planning on writing to the admission office anyways, but I wanted to know if anyone here has ever tried to be exempted from that course :) 

22 minutes ago, Elgar said:

Hello,

I just received the course registration email, and I saw on the yearly schedule that there is a course on research fundamentals, and I was wondering if it was possible to be exempted from it if we have already done graduate studies. From the description on the website it seems pretty basic, but maybe there is a bit more to it than databases and formulating hypothesis? 

So I'm planning on writing to the admission office anyways, but I wanted to know if anyone here has ever tried to be exempted from that course :) 

In our class, some PhD's still had to take it. 
Maybe it could change.
Writing won't hurt.

Best of luck!:)

2 hours ago, Elgar said:

Hello,

I wish.... But no I still had to do it even though I finished my Master's

When I interviewed one of the students who was giving us the tour told me that since I had a masters degree I probably could be exempted from this class. He seemed pretty sure but since I didn’t get in so I don’t know if it was true. 

So not too helpful but I am sure it doesn’t hurt to try :P

13 hours ago, Al22 said:

When I interviewed one of the students who was giving us the tour told me that since I had a masters degree I probably could be exempted from this class. He seemed pretty sure but since I didn’t get in so I don’t know if it was true. 

So not too helpful but I am sure it doesn’t hurt to try :P

They gave exemptions 3 years ago but then stopped. I haven't heard anything about them re-instituting exemptions, even though they definitely should since it's a silly waste of time for anyone with previous research experience.

This course is very easy to manage and you do not need an exemption from it all. You will be put in a group based on your interests regarding a research topic. You and your group will do small research assignments (like once every two months) and meet with your supervisor to discuss the assignments. There were a total of only 4 meetings in Med 1 and 2 meetings in Med 2.