Premed 101 Forums

I am in the same boat as you, and my decision finally came down to the fact that  Dalhousie is extremely competitive to get an interview as OOP. I figured that the extra time would be more helpful for all the other schools where I stand a better chance with a higher MCAT. 

If you have connections to Maritimes then you would have a much better chance for Dal and in that case I’d encourage you to take it earlier. If you don’t have any connections then your chances are very low anyways (interview selection is based off maritime connection essay only). In either case, you do not wanna take the test if you’re not well-prepared. If you rush and don’t score within your goal, Dal won’t be the only school you won’t be able to apply to! 

7 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

I am in the same boat as you, and my decision finally came down to the fact that  Dalhousie is extremely competitive to get an interview as OOP. I figured that the extra time would be more helpful for all the other schools where I stand a better chance with a higher MCAT. 

If you have connections to Maritimes then you would have a much better chance for Dal and in that case I’d encourage you to take it earlier. If you don’t have any connections then your chances are very low anyways (interview selection is based off maritime connection essay only). In either case, you do not wanna take the test if you’re not well-prepared. If you rush and don’t score within your goal, Dal won’t be the only school you won’t be able to apply to! 

Thanks for the response. I lived in the Maritimes for about 5 years before moving to Ontario. Obviously, I am not eligible for IP status anymore but I am not sure if this is a strong enough Maritime connection to write the MCAT earlier to apply as an OOP?

54 minutes ago, sportsMD23 said:

Thanks for the response. I lived in the Maritimes for about 5 years before moving to Ontario. Obviously, I am not eligible for IP status anymore but I am not sure if this is a strong enough Maritime connection to write the MCAT earlier to apply as an OOP?

I think that's a pretty decent connection. There are some OOP applicants who get interviewed with less connection than yours. Some of the essay also comes down to how convincing you sound to the reviewer. It might be worth writing the MCAT on august 10th. You could buckle down and have early august as your goal and gauge your performance as you move forward. You are going to do some AAMC FL's closer to August and that's when you can see how you're performing. If you're scoring around your goal, then you know you don't need to reschedule, but if by August you're scoring well below your goal on the AAMC FL's I would reschedule because a low MCAT score is never worth it.