Premed 101 Forums

Bilingual Alberta resident CompSci grad beginning to explore options.

Here is my unusual path to graduation (I don't know if GPA is calculated in the same way over all schools):

Year 1: UBC - General Science 

• ---

Year 2: Université de Montréal - Neuroscience

• ---

Years 3-5: Université de Montréal - Computer Science

• ---

I would like to apply to medical school after my Master's (most likely ending in 2022), but I'm currently unsure where my best options lie.

I realize that currently, my portfolio is not comptetitive. I would like to know if it can be made competitive, without doing a second bachelor's.

Should I aim for Alberta schools in order to take advantage of my residency, and Quebec schools since the reserved out-of-province spots may have fewer applicants per spot? Should I get Quebec residency, as I have heard that their system is less competitive overall?

Thank you in advance.

Quick facts:

• I am currently on a gap year, starting a Working Holiday Visa abroad in November.
  • In 2020/2021 I am planning to start a Master's in Artificial Intelligence, and I could try to focus my research on medical applications.
  • I took 4 courses per semester in my CompSci degree. 
  • I did 1 research internship on autonomous vehicles, and 1 industry internship in industry.
  • I am an Alberta resident, but could gain Quebec residency by working there for 1 year.
  • I speak English and French fluently.
  • For some schools, I am missing courses, for example, a second English course and Organic Chemistry. I believe I could get high grades on these courses were I to take them in preparation for applying.
  • I have not taken the MCAT, but I would have time to study for and take it this fall.
  • I have done some volunteer work, but none medical since second year.
  • I was Vice President of a university cultural association for 4th and 5th year.

What is your yearly GPA breakdown for years 3-5?

There is no quick fix for an undergraduate GPA below competitive range. You state you do not want to do a second undergrad but unfortunately that is your best path forward if medicine in Canada is your goal. You need to aim for 2 years with full course-load and 3.9+ GPA 

Unfortunately you also did not take full course load in year 3,4,5. You may have been able to use weighed wGPA at some schools.  What was your year 5 GPA. I suggest your only pathway forward in Canada is to start a 2nd undergrad and get high GPA for 2 years. If you can get Quebec residency and are fluent in French, I would go that route for 2nd undergrad.   A masters will not help your Med application without having the undergrad GPA.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:57 PM, blonic said:

Here is my unusual path to graduation (I don't know if GPA is calculated in the same way over all schools):

Year 1: UBC - General Science 

• GPA: 3.75 (had to calculate myself, my average was 81.14%)

Year 2: Université de Montréal - Neuroscience

• GPA: 2.055

Years 3-5: Université de Montréal - Computer Science

• GPA: 3.41

I would like to apply to medical school after my Master's (most likely ending in 2022), but I'm currently unsure where my best options lie.

I realize that currently, my portfolio is not comptetitive. I would like to know if it can be made competitive, without doing a second bachelor's.

Should I aim for Alberta schools in order to take advantage of my residency, and Quebec schools since the reserved out-of-province spots may have fewer applicants per spot? Should I get Quebec residency, as I have heard that their system is less competitive overall?

Thank you in advance.

Quick facts:

• I am currently on a gap year, starting a Working Holiday Visa abroad in November.
  • In 2020/2021 I am planning to start a Master's in Artificial Intelligence, and I could try to focus my research on medical applications.
  • I took 4 courses per semester in my CompSci degree. 
  • I did 1 research internship on autonomous vehicles, and 1 industry internship in industry.
  • I am an Alberta resident, but could gain Quebec residency by working there for 1 year.
  • I speak English and French fluently.
  • For some schools, I am missing courses, for example, a second English course and Organic Chemistry. I believe I could get high grades on these courses were I to take them in preparation for applying.
  • I have not taken the MCAT, but I would have time to study for and take it this fall.
  • I have done some volunteer work, but none medical since second year.
  • I was Vice President of a university cultural association for 4th and 5th year.

Salut! 

Pour faire écho au poste plus haut, avec ton GPA et l’indice de force de programme, tu n’atteints pas le cut-off pour les universités québécoises en ce moment! 

Certaines universités accordent un bonus pour une maîtrise complétée, comme tu dois déjà être au courant. Je t’encourage quand même à envoyer ta demande aux universités québécoises, après tu sauras ta CRU (cote  universitaire) et tu sauras si un bonus de 1 point te serait suffisant, malheureusement j’en doute..!