Premed 101 Forums

OOP chance

Hi all,

Just looking at the next cycle and last year's stats, and I saw that the OOP stats are really high compared to the stated minimums.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the chances are for being OOP with the following:

AGPA: 4.18

MCAT: 520

~3 publications

Low SES 

I'm guessing I'm going to need to do well on the Casper?

Thanks very much. :) 

• 4 weeks later...

You need a z score of 3 on Casper maybe greater. Your scores are converted to z scores. The average applicant for oop has about 520 mcat and 4.3 Agpa. So your z score is 0 for mcat and negative for agpa. It’s probably  -1. The z score of interviews applicants is about 1 for each category. You multiply your z score the weighting for that component. Casper is normally distributed. Good luck!!

12 hours ago, Xbox Skully said:

You need a z score of 3 on Casper maybe greater. Your scores are converted to z scores. The average applicant for oop has about 520 mcat and 4.3 Agpa. So your z score is 0 for mcat and negative for agpa. It’s probably  -1. The z score of interviews applicants is about 1 for each category. You multiply your z score the weighting for that component. Casper is normally distributed. Good luck!!

Thanks!!

Thanks very much @Xbox Skully that really helps give me a better idea how the score works.

So going by the calculation and given that you need an overall score of 1:

1 = 0.2 * -1(AGPA) + 0.5 * 0 (MCAT) + 0.3 (x) 

x=4

So need a CASPER z-score of 4. Yikes! I'm about as low-SES as they come, but that may not be enough to mitigate a low GPA if it's similar to the max rural score. Still, good to know what to expect.