Premed 101 Forums

What age can we write out non-academic activities from?

17 hours ago, Pecan said:

Can we use high school activities?

I would recommend writing out all the possible entries you could include on your application first.  That way, you can see everything in front of you (perhaps just by titles or a few bullet points, ultimately wanting to get the idea of each entry).  Then try to categorize activities into leadership, service ethic, etc.  Seeing all your activities at once will also help you prioritize things. If it’s the case that you still have space after including all post-secondary activities, then definitely include high school activities too.

Having said that, you may have a stellar high school activity that is way better than certain post-secondary ones — if that’s the case, then definitely prioritize your high school one.

At the end of the day, like @JohnGrisham has said, there is nothing wrong with including high school activities.  So, go for it :).

3 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Zero reason to not include high school if you have space. There is zero stigma against it. 

I have talked to UBC FOM phone line about it this past cycle and at least one of them (possibly a second several years before) advised against it unless it continued into your undergrad degree (the conversation is still pretty fresh in my mind). OMSAS allows any activity above the age of 16 for their application so their system is definitely different but what I said did come from the horse's mouth. I think it'd be best if OP called them about this one to clarify. I myself did end up omitting several high school activities because of it but my awards section was filled pretty much entirely with high school stuff (and I got in) so I think it's more a matter of perception then an actual hard fast rule. The UBC blog has something about it from 2014 that you could use as reference though:

"There is no time limit on how far back activities and awards can go, but please keep in mind that we are interested in your most significant experiences. Generally speaking, for most applicants these significant activities take place after high school, but if one or more of your most important accomplishments occurred in high school feel free to include them on the application."

So the advisor may have just been hyperbolizing but, of course, use your best judgment.

I'd use your best judgment, if it's just a club activity without a significant leadership role, little hours committed, or didn't really carry through to university, I'd leave it out. But if you're applying in 2nd-year university and just don't have much to write, it doesn't really hurt you, it's just boring to read as a reviewer.

I had one award from high school that I listed because it was a provincial championship and I had space, but nothing else. Instead I filled my NAQ with random lifestyle activities instead (I graduated high school in 2012, it's just too long ago). 

12 hours ago, Coldery said:

I have talked to UBC FOM phone line about it this past cycle and at least one of them (possibly a second several years before) advised against it unless it continued into your undergrad degree (the conversation is still pretty fresh in my mind). OMSAS allows any activity above the age of 16 for their application so their system is definitely different but what I said did come from the horse's mouth. I think it'd be best if OP called them about this one to clarify. I myself did end up omitting several high school activities because of it but my awards section was filled pretty much entirely with high school stuff (and I got in) so I think it's more a matter of perception then an actual hard fast rule. The UBC blog has something about it from 2014 that you could use as reference though:

"There is no time limit on how far back activities and awards can go, but please keep in mind that we are interested in your most significant experiences. Generally speaking, for most applicants these significant activities take place after high school, but if one or more of your most important accomplishments occurred in high school feel free to include them on the application."

So the advisor may have just been hyperbolizing but, of course, use your best judgment.

Well, the numerous 19-20 year olds that get into UBC medicine after 2nd or 3rd year of undergrad who very frequently have many high school activities would beg to differ.

If you omitted entries, when you had blank space, then you made a mistake and missed out on points.  

With the UBC medicine application, if you have space, and an activity to slot in that space, put it in.  Don't overthink it and omit an activity. The big caveat being if you are maxed out on space and need to pick and choose between activities - but many applicants are not in this position.

10 hours ago, chiynadoll said:

I'd use your best judgment, if it's just a club activity without a significant leadership role, little hours committed, or didn't really carry through to university, I'd leave it out. But if you're applying in 2nd-year university and just don't have much to write, it doesn't really hurt you, it's just boring to read as a reviewer.

I had one award from high school that I listed because it was a provincial championship and I had space, but nothing else. Instead I filled my NAQ with random lifestyle activities instead (I graduated high school in 2012, it's just too long ago). 

I'd fully disagree with the bolded. Reviewers are reading thousands of entries, they are bored by everything already. Don't exclude something because you think its boring, or doesn't have enough hours, or is from a distant past. There is no true distinction between entries.  Plenty of people are doing activities that are more worthwhile in high school then other people are doing during their masters. It's all a spectrum.

Algorithm for entries: Do you have space? Put it in.  Do you have more activities than spaces? Rank based on your perception of strengths/weakness of your app overall, taking into account length of involvement, hours, impact etc etc.

1 hour ago, JohnGrisham said:

Well, the numerous 19-20 year olds that get into UBC medicine after 2nd or 3rd year of undergrad who very frequently have many high school activities would beg to differ.

If you omitted entries, when you had blank space, then you made a mistake and missed out on points.  

With the UBC medicine application, if you have space, and an activity to slot in that space, put it in.  Don't overthink it and omit an activity. The big caveat being if you are maxed out on space and need to pick and choose between activities - but many applicants are not in this position.

I'd fully disagree with the bolded. Reviewers are reading thousands of entries, they are bored by everything already. Don't exclude something because you think its boring, or doesn't have enough hours, or is from a distant past. There is no true distinction between entries.  Plenty of people are doing activities that are more worthwhile in high school then other people are doing during their masters. It's all a spectrum.

Algorithm for entries: Do you have space? Put it in.  Do you have more activities than spaces? Rank based on your perception of strengths/weakness of your app overall, taking into account length of involvement, hours, impact etc etc.

wait ubc lets 2nd years in?! a missed opportunity :\