Premed 101 Forums

How to get a healthcare job?

Hello there, I was just wondering if there were any premeds who were successful in finding a job in healthcare and how they went about finding it? 

I find myself in a vicious cycle in the summer where I need to make money financially, but find myself only being able to get a job in food service/ customer service. Were there any special courses you took that could be completed in the summer? 

I know Canada is unlike the states where it is uncommon to find a scribing job and such, but I know there are medical jobs out there; I would be willing to take a course to be more qualified but from what I see to even be a medical office assistant I would need to take a college program. 

If it helps I am in Ontario.

If anyone has any advice it would really be appreciated; thank you! 

You don't require a "medical" job in undergrad to apply to Med School.

Most true medical jobs require some form of education to apply.  Even a scribing job (as you call it) requires learning medical terminology.  Most colleges have a course.   See online example below.   I doubt you would find a summer job based on this though.  Although you might find a part time role long term for medical clinics or researchers.         

https://www.loyalistbanner.com/PROD/cewkcrss.P_CrseDetails?subj_code=HLTH&crse_numb=8007&sess_code=8

You will find alot of pre-meds do gravitate towards hospitals and research.   Many premed hospital roles are volunteer based and are not in any way medical other than being in the same building.   You may need to start as a volunteer if you want to spend some time in a hospital watching.

There are likely summer research opportunities at your University that could have clinical aspects.  You need to start cultivating those in January timeframe for the summer.   Start looking around when you start 3rd year and talk to your profs.

3 hours ago, Meridian said:

You don't require a "medical" job in undergrad to apply to Med School.

Most true medical jobs require some form of education to apply.  Even a scribing job (as you call it) requires learning medical terminology.  Most colleges have a course.   See online example below.   I doubt you would find a summer job based on this though.  Although you might find a part time role long term for medical clinics or researchers.         

https://www.loyalistbanner.com/PROD/cewkcrss.P_CrseDetails?subj_code=HLTH&crse_numb=8007&sess_code=8

You will find alot of pre-meds do gravitate towards hospitals and research.   Many premed hospital roles are volunteer based and are not in any way medical other than being in the same building.   You may need to start as a volunteer if you want to spend some time in a hospital watching.

There are likely summer research opportunities at your University that could have clinical aspects.  You need to start cultivating those in January timeframe for the summer.   Start looking around when you start 3rd year and talk to your profs.

Okay thank you very much; I guess I will just work a normal job to support myself financially and volunteer for the experience. I know some undergrads were successful in securing research positions and some are doing pharmacy assistant/ clinical research but a lot of it is within school or connections, appreciate the advice; thanks!