Premed 101 Forums

Help with your activity descriptions

Hi premeds! :D 

Since the 2019/2020 application has opened and many of you are already thinking about it or have already started, I wanted to offer some advice to improve your application, specifically your NAQ. For context, I received a post-interview regrets with a below average NAQ in 2017/18. For the 2018/2019 application cycle, I focused on fixing up my activity descriptions and I was accepted to my first choice!! This forum has been really helpful over the past two years so I wanted to give something back. 

Some tips when you are writing your activity descriptions: 

1. Verbs > Adverbs: find verbs that highlight your accomplishments and responsibilities. Adverbs don't add much weight to a sentence (they're not necessary) and they take up your character count. 
  2. Be specific! Use numbers, names, places - anything that solidifies your experience and provides some context. Specific stick in the reviewer's brain more than vague and wishy-washy statements. 
  3. Pick your most important responsibilities from each activity - use the characters you have to highlight the most impactful accomplishments rather than making a list of everything you did. 
  4. If you have room, talk about the impact it had on you or the community (this will depend on what activity you are describing). 

I hope these help!! 

I'll be offering one-on-one help to a few people over the summer so feel free to DM me! Good luck to you all, you've got this!!