Premed 101 Forums

specialties that make 1 mil per year

1 hour ago, member_225 said:

Do they still exist? How many years of work does it take to reach that income?

Did you not see the top 100 OHIP billers list? #100 was still 1.5million (I know billing isnt take-home but still). Half were Rads+Ophtho and top 10 had a neurosurgeon too. #1 was Ophtho

It's possible.

However, very few people in the grand scheme of things bill 7 figures let alone take home 7 figures after overhead. You really have to be an outlier to do that in medicine and it usually requires working long hours/working in undesirable locations/running a sophisticated clinic

On 7/4/2019 at 11:21 PM, member_225 said:

It is a lot of work if you are only in the public field.

Easiest way is to probably do optho and have a Lasik clinic running on the side (that's where you print cash because it is relatively straight forward quick work that you bill privately so you charge what the market will tolerate). Unfortunately, you need to find a spot that still has some unmet demand for lasik.

12 hours ago, obiwankenobi said:

Where did you find the list? I can't find it. 

It's on The Star.

Top ten:

1. Ophthalmologist

2. Neurosurgeon w/pain clinic

3. Family doctor w/pain clinic

4. Ophthalmologist

5. Radiologist w/fertility imaging centre

6. Internist w/dialysis centre

7. Family doctor w/pain clinic

8. Anesthesiologist w/pain clinic

9. Radiologist

10. Ophthalmologist

On 7/4/2019 at 9:51 PM, member_225 said:

The few doctors who can do large volumes of private work have that ceiling (ophthal, derm, plastics). Otherwise it's extremely rare to make that much.

17 hours ago, The Ace of Spades said:

This thread may look to be in poor taste to the layperson reading it. Hell, it looks to be in poor taste to me, a PGY5.

Agreed. If the OP's goal is a way to make more than a million per year, medicine is absolutely the wrong career for them. You should go into business or law or something else. 

50 minutes ago, Edict said:

The takeaway is you gotta do pain clinic.

Yep. Family medicine is actually #3 on the list of specialties that have a high number on the top 100 list over the last several years (there are almost as many family doctors as rads on that list).

• 5 weeks later...

To be honest, it's probably not worth the effort to make the extra cash.

The only way it would be worth it is of you are gonna retire at age 45 on your savings. Otherwise, you are probably working like a dog and wasting your life. 

I make a very good amount of cash, but I'd gladly take a 50% pay cut if it meant a better life for me (job I like, in a town I like, with a non inept health authority and co-workers who aren't lower intelligence, socially retarded, assholes. Hell, I'd take the cut for even a couple of those things). Money is far from everything. 

6 minutes ago, NLengr said:

The only way it would be worth it is of you are gonna retire at age 45 on your savings. Otherwise, you are probably working like a dog and wasting your life. 

I make a very good amount of cash, but I'd gladly take a 50% pay cut if it meant a better life for me (job I like, in a town I like, with a non inept health authority and co-workers who aren't lower intelligence, socially retarded, assholes. Hell, I'd take the cut for even a couple of those things). Money is far from everything. 

Well, it looks like you successfully ruled out a career in medicine... :lol:

2 minutes ago, freewheeler said:

Well, it looks like you successfully ruled out a career in medicine... :lol:

I think that Nlengr works as a general surgeon in a small remote rural community. Some hospital administration are actually competent and can deal with a lot of things on their plate with the cutting budget. Most hospital staff in community hospitals are actually nice to each other, rather than trying to stab each other in the back or get by with "barely checking in". 

On 7/4/2019 at 11:43 PM, swoman said:

Did you not see the top 100 OHIP billers list? #100 was still 1.5million (I know billing isnt take-home but still). Half were Rads+Ophtho and top 10 had a neurosurgeon too. #1 was Ophtho

ha, yeah definitely not take home. Many of those places have out of billings paying for an army of staff (rads as an example - how many ultrasound or rad techs are they paying for out of that - usually it is 6:1 one ratio of techs to rads for instance at ~100K a pop to start, and then there is the equipment and so on ha), and the overhead in ophtho is huge (last time I ask the staff at Ottawa pegged it at 60+% - to the point where they were afraid to take vacation because the thought of the overhead still running as painful ha). 

It is funny how the government didn't want to pay for all the things required to run the health care, but then is mad at the outcome. I know a ton of doctors that would love to just show up to work each day and collect a paycheck vs all the running of the clinic/office/hospital stuff. 

Edited by rmorelan

11 hours ago, NLengr said:

.....I really, really, REALLY hope you get a chance to move at some point where you are happier. Posts like this make me sad. 

On 7/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, 1D7 said:

Yep. Family medicine is actually #3 on the list of specialties that have a high number on the top 100 list over the last several years (there are almost as many family doctors as rads on that list).

yup - I mean I say this all the time - it would have been nice if I actually really liked family medicine enough vs the other fields in medicine. It really is a great option - and I would have been done and out there FIVE years ago, roughly 200 all nighters spared, have optimal flexibility, better work hours over entire career, help a lot of people.....and yeah if you structure it and know something about finances you really do come out ahead for a long time or at least most of your career. 

2 minutes ago, Pakoon said:

Good morning U~S~A :wub:

Ha, well sure in some cases - but there is another side to that. It is capitalism so there is a much more variable income for doctors etc. Reputation matters more for somethings, and developing that often takes time. For everyone at the top there is someone not doing so well - and it can be a lot more like a rat race as a result. Just remember your competition is all highly intelligent motivated and usually type A+ personalities as well. 

6 hours ago, rmorelan said:

yup - I mean I say this all the time - it would have been nice if I actually really liked family medicine enough vs the other fields in medicine. It really is a great option - and I would have been done and out there FIVE years ago, roughly 200 all nighters spared, have optimal flexibility, better work hours over entire career, help a lot of people.....and yeah if you structure it and know something about finances you really do come out ahead for a long time or at least most of your career. 

Agreed. There are many times I wish I had done family.