Premed 101 Forums

Retaking MCAT VERY LATE after AMCAS/AACOMAS submission

Hello, I am a Canadian applicant about to submit my AMCAS and AACOMAS applications by the end of this weekend (I know, I should've finished them much earlier). I have taken the MCAT twice and my most recent score was a 511. I think this score is good enough for my US apps, but I do want to take the test again for Canadian schools since I'll be spending an extra year for this application cycle anyway (I do believe I have room to improve my score because I procrastinated a lot last time). The only thing is, I DON'T want US schools to wait on my next MCAT score before considering my application (I plan to write it mid-September). Should I not declare an upcoming MCAT test date on my AMCAS application? Would this be a good idea to allow my application to proceed with my current MCAT scores? I have not formally booked the test yet for this reason: should I submit my application first, then book the test and perhaps when I get my results, AAMC will automatically upload my MCAT scores. At that point, will those scores be considered by any schools whatsoever?

• 10 months later...

Been in a similar position. Don't declare an upcoming MCAT score or some US med schools will wait for it to come out before giving you an interview, which is a death sentence for internationals.

Submit application first then book the test. AAMC will automatically upload your MCAT scores once they come out, and will be considered by the schools. I can't help you with what happens after this as I haven't been at this stage lol, but if you do get a lower score your screwed, but if its really high you should be fine. Previous sentence you might want clarity directly from med schools.

4 hours ago, Medase said:

Been in a similar position. Don't declare an upcoming MCAT score or some US med schools will wait for it to come out before giving you an interview, which is a death sentence for internationals.

Submit application first then book the test. AAMC will automatically upload your MCAT scores once they come out, and will be considered by the schools. I can't help you with what happens after this as I haven't been at this stage lol, but if you do get a lower score your screwed, but if its really high you should be fine. Previous sentence you might want clarity directly from med schools.

Thank you for the reply!

I am planning to submit my application in June. However, I already booked the test for September, but I am not going to declare that I am retaking my MCAT. Do you think that will be fine as well? I can't cancel the exam anymore ...I am pretty sure I'll get a better score tho 

1 hour ago, premed1214 said:

Thank you for the reply!

I am planning to submit my application in June. However, I already booked the test for September, but I am not going to declare that I am retaking my MCAT. Do you think that will be fine as well? I can't cancel the exam anymore ...I am pretty sure I'll get a better score tho 

Should be fine if it's like the first week of June, but anything after you're going to be at a very bad spot. US follows a rolling admissions system, and so chances significantly reduce the longer you take to submit your application, as an international student. 

12 minutes ago, Medase said:

Should be fine if it's like the first week of June, but anything after you're going to be at a very bad spot. US follows a rolling admissions system, and so chances significantly reduce the longer you take to submit your application, as an international student. 

Great! I will try to submit before June! Thank you for your help :wub: