Premed 101 Forums

UCalgary Med Academic Violation

Was hoping to get some helpful advice, other forums have been basically telling me to abandon med school. I'll be going through my first application cycle this year with a 3.75 GPA and a 513 on the MCAT (128 CARS). I'll be graduating after the summer semester (couldn't write the MCAT last year due to financial reasons). However, in my first year, during a summer STATS class, I received an academic violation for cheating. It wasn't even my fault because someone else printed off a copy of my lab and handed it in and the professor saw that our labs were exactly the same. However, somehow I still wasn't able to convince the faculty that it wasn't my fault. I ended up receiving a grade reduction and a 0 in the lab. It doesn't appear on my transcript at all, but the school keeps a disciplinary record that indicates this. I'll now have to declare that I had an academic violation because they are allowed to request my disciplinary record. 

Has anyone been through a similar situation or would anyone be willing to offer advice on what I should do and how this will reflect on my application. It's absolutely heartbreaking because medical school has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. I'm 4 years removed from the incident and really didn't think it would come back to haunt me. 

I would try calling the admissions office and being completely honest with them about your situation. You don't have to give your name and can block your phone number if your worried about anonymity for the upcoming cycle, however they will be able to give you the best advice on what to do with your future application. There may also be a section on the application where you are able to explain this extenuating circumstance.