Premed 101 Forums

Am I too old for medical school

1 hour ago, Prettyfunguy said:

I will be 24 turning 25 in November, is that too old for Dalhousie medical school?

Absolutely not too old. I know really awesome doctors, residents, and medical students who started in their late twenties and early thirties. If anything, a bit more life experience will help you, not hinder you in any way. 

At the interviews this past year, the Med1s told everyone that no one cares how old you are or if you’ve done additional graduate degrees or not. Once you’re in, you each have something great to bring to the table.

I would focus on why you want to be a doctor and what you personally have to offer, rather than what year you were born in. 

On 7/11/2019 at 11:20 PM, YesIcan55 said:

OP is either trolling or grossly uninformed, the average age of first year medical students in Canada (non-Quebec) is 24-26 depending on the school 

Some schools tend to be much younger (I know the stats of my school were pretty skewed towards the 20-22 range). That being said, no one is ever too old for medical school. However, age difference is definitely a consideration to be prepared for. Medical school can be a bit of a repeat of high school, some of your classmates can be pretty immature, and so being aware of the fact that reduce the surprise of it all.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, RichardDegrasseSagan said:

Some schools tend to be much younger (I know the stats of my school were pretty skewed towards the 20-22 range). That being said, no one is ever too old for medical school. However, age difference is definitely a consideration to be prepared for. Medical school can be a bit of a repeat of high school, some of your classmates can be pretty immature, and so being aware of the fact that reduce the surprise of it all.

-

20 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

there is no English Medical School in Canada with an average age of 20-22. 

I wasn't trying to imply that the average was 20-22. By skewed towards 20-22 range, I meant that the majority of the students fell in this range. There were still a few 22-24, handful of 25-30, and a couple of 30+. They gave us the statistics of it all during some of the intro lectures.