Premed 101 Forums

Is it impossible to practise in Canada after studying abroad

Hi,

How hard is the NDEB equivalency process currently ? I have seen many questions on this topic but most are outdated and irrelevant to our current time. I have been admitted into a non-accredited DDS program ( In a 3rd world country) . It makes so much sense for me to attend this program especially from the financial aspect ( much cheaper tuition even for international students) but the only thing that is stopping me is the fear that I will never be able to come back and obtain my Canadian license. Any thoughts ?

Much appreciated 

7 hours ago, LEAfsfAN_ said:

Hi,

How hard is the NDEB equivalency process currently ? I have seen many questions on this topic but most are outdated and irrelevant to our current time. I have been admitted into a non-accredited DDS program ( In a 3rd world country) . It makes so much sense for me to attend this program especially from the financial aspect ( much cheaper tuition even for international students) but the only thing that is stopping me is the fear that I will never be able to come back and obtain my Canadian license. Any thoughts ?

Much appreciated 

The equivalency process is very very difficult. Only something like 1 in 5 who begin the equivalency process end with a license to practice. It takes on average 3-4 years. That’s 3-4 years of lost income and stress. Even after licensure, the hardship is not over. A lot of practices specifically do not hire Internationally Trained Dentists (dentists trained outside of Canada, US, Aus, NZ and Ireland). So even getting a job is not guaranteed.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:53 PM, HopefulDDS said:

Don't forget that internationally trained dentists can then enter the international student track in Canadian dental schools. I believe you enter second year and there are slight variations in curriculum, but it's an option. So your training internationally + 3 years Canadians schools = Canadian practicing dentist in 7+ years

This is your best bet if you choose to go this route OP. But consider the time and financial costs of this as well. I believe IDAP students end up paying just as much as us for 2 years as we pay in 4 years (UofT)? 

I believe it’s entirely possible. I know a guy who was a dentist in India and wanted to practice in Canada. He was able to successfully complete all steps of the equivalency process on his first attempt. Now he works as a dentist and on the side he helps/tutors other dentist to complete the equivalency process. It’s entirely possible as long as you have the time and are willing to put in the effort.

• 3 months later...