Premed 101 Forums

Deferral Policy for Grad Studies?

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything above what U of A says is a "case by case basis" for deferrals this year. I'm a 2 time applicant, 2 time interviewee, 1 time waitlister. I'll be starting an MSc this fall at U of A and I'm wondering if its even worth applying. Basically I wouldn't be done an MSc by the time classes start next fall and would want to defer. Obviously I could sit this year out applying but I'm of the mindset shared by many that the more times you put your name in the hat, the more likely you are to get picked.

I remember back on interview day in 2018 they specifically said something along the lines of "we grant deferrals for grad studies". I know an MPH student that was granted a deferral that year to finish. I don't think they said anything at the interview this past March about it, so I'm wondering if that still applies?

4 hours ago, Animo said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything above what U of A says is a "case by case basis" for deferrals this year. I'm a 2 time applicant, 2 time interviewee, 1 time waitlister. I'll be starting an MSc this fall at U of A and I'm wondering if its even worth applying. Basically I wouldn't be done an MSc by the time classes start next fall and would want to defer. Obviously I could sit this year out applying but I'm of the mindset shared by many that the more times you put your name in the hat, the more likely you are to get picked.

I remember back on interview day in 2018 they specifically said something along the lines of "we grant deferrals for grad studies". I know an MPH student that was granted a deferral that year to finish. I don't think they said anything at the interview this past March about it, so I'm wondering if that still applies?

Hey I was in a similar situation. I was starting my MSc when I first applied and got accepted to UofA. I emailed the MD admission office and they sent me a procedure to follow (straight forwards) and I also paid my deposit and everything. Then I met with the assistant dean and she asked me about my project and when I expect to be completed, and granted me the deferral. 

My experience was that if you are in the middle of your graduate studies, they are VERY lenient and accommodating and nice so that our supervisors aren't just left hanging. The assistant dean Dr. Hillier even told me I could do both at the same time if I wanted. So I think its worth applying, just don't leave your PI hanging if you get in lol :)

For another perspective, there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting your MSc and then dropping out once you are accepted. Given that you and your supervisor are on the same page, of course. This can be more difficult to do in a situation where a supervisor is investing a lot of money in you and your project (esp. in some wet labs), but if that isn't the case, most supervisors are understanding.

8 hours ago, Lancia Stratos said:

For another perspective, there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting your MSc and then dropping out once you are accepted. Given that you and your supervisor are on the same page, of course. This can be more difficult to do in a situation where a supervisor is investing a lot of money in you and your project (esp. in some wet labs), but if that isn't the case, most supervisors are understanding.

I couldn't disagree more. The whole reason they allow deferrals is because they want to discourage people from dropping their grad studies.

Even if your project isn't a wet-lab resource intensive project, your supervisor will still have invested a lot of time into training you. If you drop out of your grad studies, you've effectively wasted their time.

OP: if you want to do grad school and will see it through, do it. As mentioned above, Dr. Hillier is very accommodating for research. If you're only doing it to fill some time and would consider dropping out if you're accepted, do something else.

5 hours ago, adhominem said:

OP: if you want to do grad school and will see it through, do it. As mentioned above, Dr. Hillier is very accommodating for research. If you're only doing it to fill some time and would consider dropping out if you're accepted, do something else.

Thanks for the perspectives. I'm not at all interested in leaving my supervisor high and dry if I get in. I think that would just be a waste of both our time and energy. Burning bridges that don't need to be burned is really never a good idea.

Good to hear they seem to recognize the value of those experiences and are accommodating though.