Premed 101 Forums

Anatomy and pharmacology at McMaster

Hi everyone! 

I've been hearing that Mac isn't the best at teaching anatomy and pharmacology to their med students due to lack of dedicated time to these topics. I want to make sure I'm well versed in both so that I don't fall behind others during electives. 

I'm going to be attending the hamilton campus, and was wondering how the system for students being able to work directly with cadavers will work for this specific campus (is it a lottery system as well?)

Furthermore, are there any textbooks or resources that you recommend for learning more about anatomy and pharmacology in my free time? Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 5:53 PM, bheely96 said:

Hi everyone! 

I've been hearing that Mac isn't the best at teaching anatomy and pharmacology to their med students due to lack of dedicated time to these topics. I want to make sure I'm well versed in both so that I don't fall behind others during electives. 

I'm going to be attending the hamilton campus, and was wondering how the system for students being able to work directly with cadavers will work for this specific campus (is it a lottery system as well?)

Furthermore, are there any textbooks or resources that you recommend for learning more about anatomy and pharmacology in my free time? Thank you! 

It is a lottery to do dissection and sometimes those times conflict with your tutorial times even and you'll have to miss dissection. I recommend Netter's Atlas of Anatomy as it has the best illustrations imo. If you have no background in anatomy/medical sciences whatsoever, I would get something that has more text and explanations like Gray's Anatomy for Students. 

Unfortunately, I still don't know my pharmacology so I can't help you there..