Premed 101 Forums

cap on number of surgeries at a hospital

On 8/2/2019 at 4:42 PM, FuturePlasticSurgeon said:

how does it work? do they tell patients to wait until next year for the operation?

Your day just gets cancelled. 

Administration is nice enough to let you (or your secretary usually) tell the patient they will have to be moved later. You also get to bear the brunt of the patient's anger.

For the record, when stuff like this happens and patients complain to me, I tell them they are right to be pissed. I encourage them to call the hospital board and their provincial political representative and complain. 

There is also an allotment for elective surgeries in most provinces. This means there is a certain Cataract Allotment for the region, or a certain hip replacement allotment etc. 

The only reason for these caps is that it is an easy way to limit cost for elective surgeries in the system. However, in my opinion, it is a very narrow view as the government is only looking at the savings from not doing the surgery but does not look at the strain on the system it puts elsewhere as these people wait for their surgery.

Essentially, for most surgical waitlist, the limiting reagent is not the surgeon but the lack of resources surrounding them.