Premed 101 Forums

Endocrinology?

21 hours ago, ysera said:

I did notice that too which was fairly shocking to see. For something like Neuro, which is competitive and also requires one or more fellowships, its confusing that they get paid so little comparatively. I dont think I could do the 5+ years of training if I knew in the end I wouldnt be compensated for the extra training, no matter how much I like the field. 

I don't blame you. I think people are too idealistic when they get hung up on doing what they want at all costs...because it's unlikely that you'll always want to do what 25-year-old finds cool. Nice thing about family is the flexibility.

20 hours ago, rmorelan said:

the government has this funny bias in billing I think towards someone doing something measurable or permanent. They really have problems paying for specialities that don't do that or do less of if (peds patients are complex and take more time so you end up with less, psych/neuro often can only manage a problem and cannot "fix it" and so on). This is not exactly fair. 

Beyond being unfair, I think it's hurting patients. Wait times in these specialities (despite not being hospital-resource intensive) reflect that. The flip side is that for the most part you know people who went into these specialties did so knowing they would be training longer for less money, which usually takes a certain type of person. I haven't met many people in neuro who aren't truly passionate for the field...it would be hard to sustain a (relatively) poor economic decision without that. Perhaps it makes for better doctors? Though I don't really think cardiologists are any worse just because they make 2-3x what neurologists/peds/psych make.

1 hour ago, PhD2MD said:

Beyond being unfair, I think it's hurting patients. Wait times in these specialities (despite not being hospital-resource intensive) reflect that. The flip side is that for the most part you know people who went into these specialties did so knowing they would be training longer for less money, which usually takes a certain type of person. I haven't met many people in neuro who aren't truly passionate for the field...it would be hard to sustain a (relatively) poor economic decision without that. Perhaps it makes for better doctors? Though I don't really think cardiologists are any worse just because they make 2-3x what neurologists/peds/psych make.

Having worked a lot with cardiologists (gotta love the Ottawa Heart Institute - strangely most of my research has nothing to do with radiology) - you can see at least in that case another check in the system - cardiologists work their assess off, the training is extremely brutal, and the schedules are insane. Not that other fields don't work hard - but there is a reason no one put cardiology on the ROAD speciality list despite the income. There is a lot of internal weeding out there ha - so it is a hard path.

Does it make better doctors? - long standing debate on what role passion for the field plays, and if you reach optimal ability just by being professional. Really, really hard to say. I think most of the time the "best of the best" type of doctors really are very passionate about their area but that doesn't mean you need to design an entire system for recruiting doctors around that.   

I have to say though. Yeah things can get dull and boring throughout the career, but I think that makes it that much more important that you choose what you like.

you dont want to be in your 50s waking up in the morning dreading about how you’ll get through your day of clinics/ward/ORs doing “xxx”. 

You will find docs who are in their 60s but still love seeing their bread and butter cases. As dull as a chole may be to a gen surgeon, maybe to them it is still the most fun relaxing procedure to do. Same thing could apply to fam doc seeing a prescription refill. Maybe the social encounter with the patient keeps them up every morning.

personally I found the ‘eye-opener’ test quite helpful in deciding on my specialty.