Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Armed Forces Officer starting medical school this year: Ask Me Anything!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mil nurse said:

Yes for sure! Well all I know is that Queen’s is one of the University that has reserve seats and they took 8 military last year and arr planning on the same number if not more for this upcoming year. 

By "reserve seats" do you mean seats for people in the Canadian Reserves? Or did you mean 8 reserved seats for people in the military? Can people in the reserves (where you commit to the 3 hrs per month) apply through the MMTP program?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dryorku said:

By "reserve seats" do you mean seats for people in the Canadian Reserves? Or did you mean 8 reserved seats for people in the military? Can people in the reserves (where you commit to the 3 hrs per month) apply through the MMTP program?

Hi - just a correction that Reservists typically train 3h/week with a full day or weekend exercise each month. During the summer, most units will shut down and members will usually take on full-time employment in the form of training courses or deployment.

In a nutshell:

  • Academic year - 3h/wk with one full-day per month (extra weekends and courses also available)
  • Summer - full-time if you wish

However, sometimes students will opt to take a gap year or a semester off for unique opportunities to deploy. As for your actual question, I'll have to defer to @Mil nurse!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dryorku said:

By "reserve seats" do you mean seats for people in the Canadian Reserves? Or did you mean 8 reserved seats for people in the military? Can people in the reserves (where you commit to the 3 hrs per month) apply through the MMTP program?

Hi! The MMTP program is on’y for active regular force member yes, usually to apply to such a program you need to be full train in your current trade for three years before you can apply however you are in need of sooooo many medical officer that this time has been reduce tonone year! As previously stated, thise seats are already « bought «  by the military therefor they need to be filled, last year 18 candidate were interviewed at Queens for this program and 8 got in. We also have seats at UOttawa, UToront, UCalgaryand now at Western apparently however I didnt see anything on their website. Hope that helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You mentioned a "home city" so I'm assuming you're an OOP applicant. 

Was wondering if you don't mind sharing your stats and if being in the navy helped you substantiate ties in the martimes. 

Also, as a repeat applicant, what do you think made the difference this year for you to finally gain that elusive med school admission (as an OOP no less!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vandelay said:

You mentioned a "home city" so I'm assuming you're an OOP applicant. 

Was wondering if you don't mind sharing your stats and if being in the navy helped you substantiate ties in the martimes. 

Also, as a repeat applicant, what do you think made the difference this year for you to finally gain that elusive med school admission (as an OOP no less!)

That’s right. This was my first time applying OOP as I’m from Ontario. I had a 3.93 two year GPA and 513 mcat. And the difference this year was I broadened my school list to include Dalhousie :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what the status of military physicians is now with respect to manpower supply? They seem to be expanding pretty aggressively over the past couple years (since the CaRMS seats were created 2 years ago to help the unmatched). Is there a big shortage in the CAF now (again?)?

Just wondering for my own interest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 6:48 AM, NLengr said:

Anyone know what the status of military physicians is now with respect to manpower supply? They seem to be expanding pretty aggressively over the past couple years (since the CaRMS seats were created 2 years ago to help the unmatched). Is there a big shortage in the CAF now (again?)?

Just wondering for my own interest. 

The Medical officer trade is at 75%right now which is very very low! Their target number for next year are 31 physician from the civilian and RMC(that will go into MOTP) and 15 MMTP spot, however if the position are not filled by civilian coming into the army the number of spot under MMTP could increase. The actual problem is mostly that a lot of medical officer are leace the CAF after the completion of the mandatory service or because they get to higher rank where they do not see patients anymore and  obviously do not want that therefor they leave....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...

Hi! 
If I was going to do my medical program in Ireland so that I can finish my surgeon program do you think I can join the Canadian armed forces and become a doctor in the military? Will they help support my education? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 11:23 AM, sana.s said:

Hi! 
If I was going to do my medical program in Ireland so that I can finish my surgeon program do you think I can join the Canadian armed forces and become a doctor in the military? Will they help support my education? 

Hi! The army will only pay for programs in a canadian university

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...