Premed 101 Forums

Diversity of Experience

Hi guys, can someone comment please on the diversity of experience part? I am really lost there, I don't know what is appropriate to put there and what sort of versifiers they need for that.

For example, can I put travels (tourism) to the diversity of experience? What versifier do they need for that?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, yesandno said:

Hi guys, can someone comment please on the diversity of experience part? I am really lost there, I don't know what is appropriate to put there and what sort of versifiers they need for that.

For example, can I put travels (tourism) to the diversity of experience? What versifier do they need for that?

Thank you!

Yes, you can. For these sorts of things it’s appropriate to put someone you did the activity with or who knows you well - e.g. a friend you travelled with, or maybe a parent if you travelled alone. Admissions understands that for some personal activities and hobbies it will be necessary to use friend or family member.

I think diversity of experiences is about painting a good picture of who you are, what your interests are, how you spend your time, and (only if relevant) major events in your life that have shaped you. I think I had at least 8 or 9 activities that were just hobbies or travel or personal improvement and that were verified by friends and family. I just tried to pick a variety of people so I didn’t have repeat verifiers - e.g. a friend I ran with often was my verifier for an entry about physical activity, my spouse was a verifier for another hobby, etc.

You do want to try to find a balance between the types of activities you have,  and obviously you don’t want a parent verifying more formal activities like volunteering when there might be a supervisor or someone more appropriate. But I think there’s a lot of leeway in the diversity of experiences section.

Edited by frenchpress

One extra thing to note: If you are going to include tourism, do think about why it was an important or meaningful experience to you. Saying you spent a week on the beach is probably not exactly what admissions is looking for ;) That said, probably any tourism could be included if it was a significant experience for you and/or you spent a decent amount of doing it. 

E.g. maybe you have done a lot of travelling around your home province with family over the years and you’ve come to value exploring new places and strengthening your bond with your family on an annual basis. Etc etc.