Premed 101 Forums

If you were raised with the notion that drinking in a sin, should you drink when out with friends?

gnatcatcher

8 hours ago, NLengr said:

Uuuuuhhhh, 2010 data shows South Korea consuming more alcohol than France, the UK or Germany. China and Japan are also in the middle of the pack by country if you look at per capita consumption. 

Your second statement is also incorrect and just sounds condescending.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201010/why-intelligent-people-drink-more-alcohol

Like I said in a previous quote, most of my Asian friends didn't drink, so I wrongly assumed. It's fine if you drink, but I personally found that it has mostly negative effects for temporary enjoyment. I have literally seen a huge board on how bad alcohol is for anyone, even if taken in small amounts over a period of time, at our local police interpretive centre. I would like to apologize for the incorrect information I wrongly assumed about those countries. I mostly meant India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Malaysia, and the other Muslim countries in Asia do not drink, due to their religious preferences, but they do have amazing celebrations filled with laughter and fun times. I'm just saying that you do not need alcohol to have fun, but it's my personal thought. If you want to drink, go ahead. I would like to stand my ground, that I believe alcohol does not really help anything or anyone. Please feel free to enlighten me though, on all the benefits of alcohol.

8 hours ago, NLengr said:

Uuuuuhhhh, 2010 data shows South Korea consuming more alcohol than France, the UK or Germany. China and Japan are also in the middle of the pack by country if you look at per capita consumption. 

Your second statement is also incorrect and just sounds condescending.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201010/why-intelligent-people-drink-more-alcohol

https://www.quora.com/How-often-did-Einstein-drink-alcohol

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-scientific-safe-alcohol.html

54 minutes ago, afnanjuma said:

I'm not arguing drinking alcohol is healthy. It's proven to be harmful, especially at high amounts. But then again lots of stuff people enjoy and do on a regular basis is known to be risky. I also don't believe for a second that other things I enjoy and partake in (auto racing, contact sports, using power tools, eating fish and chips etc.) is not risky but I judge the risk benefit ratio be to favourable for me. I like the taste of wine/beer/rum/whiskey so I make an I formed decision to drink it. 

As for Enstien, that's a n of 1. I wasn't arguing that booze makes you smarter, I was showing that smart people seem to drink more (not that booze makes them smarter). Correlation vs. Causation and all that stuff.

It's nobody's business if someone drinks or does not drink and whether you do it or not doesn't make you a "smart" person. Who we are isn't defined so easily and what shapes our path isn't so black and white. There are many smart, great people who drink alcohol, there are also many dumb ones. There are many smart non drinkers, and many dumb ones. 

18 minutes ago, NLengr said:

I'm not arguing drinking alcohol is healthy. It's proven to be harmful, especially at high amounts. But then again lots of stuff people enjoy and do on a regular basis is known to be risky. I also don't believe for a second that other things I enjoy and partake in (auto racing, contact sports, using power tools, eating fish and chips etc.) is not risky but I judge the risk benefit ratio be to favourable for me. I like the taste of wine/beer/rum/whiskey so I make an I formed decision to drink it. 

As for Enstien, that's a n of 1. I wasn't arguing that booze makes you smarter, I was showing that smart people seem to drink more (not that booze makes them smarter). Correlation vs. Causation and all that stuff.

That's true. Honestly, its fine if you choose to drink, as long as you are doing it responsibly. The other things you mentioned might only be a danger mostly to you, and others who choose to do it. Like if those activities cause harm or anything, it will be to the people who chose to do it, instead of innocent bystanders. The thing with alcohol is that, it has the power to hurt innocent people who did not even drink in the first place and had no intention of being involved (drunk driving, fights, rapes, etc.). I shouldn't have worded my words in a way that seems like I am criticizing everyone who drinks. I'm not, I'm just saying that I heard about a lot of bad things happening from alcohol consumption, but if you do it in the right amount and not hurt others in the process, then it shouldn't be a problem.  Sorry if my previous statement came off as condescending. 

1 hour ago, afnanjuma said:

That's true. Honestly, its fine if you choose to drink, as long as you are doing it responsibly. The other things you mentioned might only be a danger mostly to you, and others who choose to do it. Like if those activities cause harm or anything, it will be to the people who chose to do it, instead of innocent bystanders. The thing with alcohol is that, it has the power to hurt innocent people who did not even drink in the first place and had no intention of being involved (drunk driving, fights, rapes, etc.). I shouldn't have worded my words in a way that seems like I am criticizing everyone who drinks. I'm not, I'm just saying that I heard about a lot of bad things happening from alcohol consumption, but if you do it in the right amount and not hurt others in the process, then it shouldn't be a problem.  Sorry if my previous statement came off as condescending. 

No trouble. I agree booze turns some people into huge a-holes. 

22 hours ago, afnanjuma said:

Sorry if my previous statement came off as condescending. 

It did not come off as condescending. It did however, come off as a bit narrow minded. We should do our best to not project our realities onto others as expectations. That applies to anything, alcohol or otherwise. A worthy truism of life is understanding that our opinions, beliefs and principles are defined by a multitude of seemingly transparent factors to us, including our upbringing, culture, religion, family & friend circles, education level & type, regionality, etc., and we have to understand that the ways in which we see ourselves and other people are inevitably coloured (read: biased) by these things. The fallibility of our opinions in the eyes of others is something we have to accept, in a worthy attempt to be humble, to be gracious, and to be accepting of others. There is no one way to live life, and there are no hard lines drawn in the sand. You aren't saving anyone by giving them your opinion. Things are not as black and white as we may incorrectly, and unfortunately, assume.