Premed 101 Forums

Taking 4 classes viewed badly at USask and Queens?

Hi all,

I went to school OOP (still a SK resident) and I am going to be taking a 5th year to boost my average (currently at ~81ish)

I've been offered a position to work as an RA under my previous supervisor but I was planning on taking 5 classes each semester to shoot my shot at Western and Queens.

Taking a full course load + this RA-ship might be a death sentence and I might only be able to pull grades between 80-86

However, if i took 4 classes + RA-ship --> i should be able to get 85+ in all my courses

If I do the above, I can only apply to Sask and Queens; but will either school view this badly? 

You are taking the 5th year to boost your average for med applications. The RA adds to your EC's but not important if you do not have the GPA to start with.  You also want to keep open every school possible to apply to.   If you already have full course load in year 1-4,  I would keep that going.   You might be surprised to find your weighted wGPA for U of T is pretty decent as well.  After a 5th year you can drop 10 half-credits.    

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, Blankbla said:

Did you already graduate and are taking classes after that?

i read that they don’t consider courses taken in order to get a better average if you are delaying your degree in order to do so.

is that true? Can anyone confirm that for me?

thanks

This is true. Was brought up at the admission information session.

19 hours ago, BarbellsAndBicarb said:

This is true. Was brought up at the admission information session.

That is NOT true. 

Students delaying the completion of a degree and taking additional credit units in order to meet application requirements must be enrolled in upper level courses.

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/Applicant-Information-Document-for-Entry-2020.pdf

5 hours ago, Universal_Dr said:

That is NOT true. 

Students delaying the completion of a degree and taking additional credit units in order to meet application requirements must be enrolled in upper level courses.

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/Applicant-Information-Document-for-Entry-2020.pdf

Sorry I may have interpreted this incorrectly. 

It was stated at the admission information session that if you have GRADUATED.. and are taking another year to "boost" your GPA; they will not count those classes towards admission. Only the classes that counted towards your degree will be counted.

1 minute ago, BarbellsAndBicarb said:

Sorry I may have interpreted this incorrectly. 

It was stated at the admission information session that if you have GRADUATED.. and are taking another year to "boost" your GPA; they will not count those classes towards admission. Only the classes that counted towards your degree will be counted.

Yes. This statement is true.