Premed 101 Forums

Which Option would be better?

1. I have a completed degree after 5 years, and my UofT wGPA would be 3.91 (other schools wGPA is 3.98-4.00). If I went back to do another year of UG I can bring my UofT wGPA up to 3.93. MCAT is likely subpar for Queens, ineligible for non-SWOMEN cut-offs, since CARS is lower than 128.

2. I could also go back to school and get an MSc in epi which allows me to potentially be in the graduate pool for UofT. It also allows me to have a potential backup/upcoming job while continuing to apply to med. Also there is lots of opportunity for advancement such as senior roles or going back and getting a PhD and keeping a role in academia possible. Con: Advancement in the career takes years, and entry level salary is minimal at the MSc level. 

3. Go into a medical lab technologist program, which allows for a potential increase in ABS potential, a potential backup/upcoming job. Salary and jobs are stable: 60-80k. Cons: Doesn't benefit med apps like an MSc would, repetitive bench work, little to no career advancement in the future. Management roles are very limited. 

Your 3.91 wGPA is already sufficient to apply and be competitive at UofT and other schools.  Don't do more undergrad for that reason.

Spell out your MCAT.  It may be sufficient to be competitive at other schools.  If that is the issue, an MCAT re-write would be more productive.

A one year course-based epi Masters would not be very beneficial for U of T Med app and you would still be in the undergrad pool.

Option 4 would be to work for a year while doing ECs and re-writing the MCAT to open up all schools.

Apply to all schools you are eligible this fall.

1 hour ago, lefnalex said:

1. I have a completed degree after 5 years, and my UofT wGPA would be 3.91 (other schools wGPA is 3.98-4.00). If I went back to do another year of UG I can bring my UofT wGPA up to 3.93. MCAT is likely subpar for Queens, ineligible for non-SWOMEN cut-offs, since CARS is lower than 128.

2. I could also go back to school and get an MSc in epi which allows me to potentially be in the graduate pool for UofT. It also allows me to have a potential backup/upcoming job while continuing to apply to med. Also there is lots of opportunity for advancement such as senior roles or going back and getting a PhD and keeping a role in academia possible. Con: Advancement in the career takes years, and entry level salary is minimal at the MSc level. 

3. Go into a medical lab technologist program, which allows for a potential increase in ABS potential, a potential backup/upcoming job. Salary and jobs are stable: 60-80k. Cons: Doesn't benefit med apps like an MSc would, repetitive bench work, little to no career advancement in the future. Management roles are very limited. 

Seems like MCAT is your issue. I'd work hard on improving your MCAT. I wouldn't recommend option 3, you can definitely get into med. A MSc in Epi is surprisingly useful if you want an academic career. Many docs do a MSc in Epi anyways.