Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisite science equivalencies


Recommended Posts

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here go to or has gone to Carleton and applied to McGill? 

I would like to check course equivalencies but have been unable to get any information on what courses are equivalent at Carleton. McGill won’t answer that question, neither will Carleton, and their equivalency tool doesn’t have them listed.

Or, alternatively, has anyone used Athabasca credits to fulfil those requirements?

Specifically unsure about the cell biology and metabolism and molecular biology courses.

(Yes I have checked the course descriptions for each course and tried to match them.. they are all a little off and I am unsure of how off is acceptable. I also understand that I don’t have to fulfil option 2 however I would like to!)

Is literally the only way to find out to apply and hope you have the right courses?I am registering for courses on a part time basis and don’t want to take one only to find out it was the wrong one and have to re do it and re apply the following year

Please, if anyone know which ones are (or even aren’t is helpful!!) acceptable from Carleton I would forever be indebted!!

Thanks in advance!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest you also consider looking on the other side of the river. By taking CEGEP courses in Gatineau, you are 100% guaranteed to have them approved. If you don't speak French, look for Heritage College. If you speak French, there's Cégep Outaouais and Collège Universel. The main issue is that none of these CEGEP offer night classes. You could take 203-NYA Mécanique through distance education at Cégep@Distance (in French). For some classes, I drove to Montreal after work to attend night classes at Dawson College (in English) and Collège Ahuntsic (in French), so that may be another option. Other Montreal CEGEPs probably offer night classes as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dodo thank you for the suggestions! I looked into heritage college and actually called them but they won’t let me take the courses out of sequence, so I would have to actually complete all the program courses to get the ones I need. They also reserve spots for students who don’t already have a degree.

 

i haven’t looked into any of the Montreal CEGEPs though, that seems like a huge burden to drive 4 hours multiple times a week for class. How did you find doing that in general? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Linds said:

@Dodo thank you for the suggestions! I looked into heritage college and actually called them but they won’t let me take the courses out of sequence, so I would have to actually complete all the program courses to get the ones I need. They also reserve spots for students who don’t already have a degree.

 

i haven’t looked into any of the Montreal CEGEPs though, that seems like a huge burden to drive 4 hours multiple times a week for class. How did you find doing that in general? 

Ahahaha it was a nightmare because I drove to get there, but if the bus/train schedules allow you to get to Mtl on time, I sincerely think it's worth it. You can sleep/study during the trip. CEGEP courses are so inexpensive that it's probably cheaper overall than say Athabasca 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dodo said:

Ahahaha it was a nightmare because I drove to get there, but if the bus/train schedules allow you to get to Mtl on time, I sincerely think it's worth it. You can sleep/study during the trip. CEGEP courses are so inexpensive that it's probably cheaper overall than say Athabasca 

Hahah oh of course when I looked into it it was insanely cheap!! I will definitely check it out to see if they have any Saturday courses :) thank you so much!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:45 PM, Linds said:

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here go to or has gone to Carleton and applied to McGill? 

I would like to check course equivalencies but have been unable to get any information on what courses are equivalent at Carleton. McGill won’t answer that question, neither will Carleton, and their equivalency tool doesn’t have them listed.

Or, alternatively, has anyone used Athabasca credits to fulfil those requirements?

Specifically unsure about the cell biology and metabolism and molecular biology courses.

(Yes I have checked the course descriptions for each course and tried to match them.. they are all a little off and I am unsure of how off is acceptable. I also understand that I don’t have to fulfil option 2 however I would like to!)

Is literally the only way to find out to apply and hope you have the right courses?I am registering for courses on a part time basis and don’t want to take one only to find out it was the wrong one and have to re do it and re apply the following year

Please, if anyone know which ones are (or even aren’t is helpful!!) acceptable from Carleton I would forever be indebted!!

Thanks in advance!!

Looks like you got your answer but for anyone reading this in the future, I was in a similar situation and ran into this link: 
https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/recommended_courses_for_commonly_requested_institutions_0.pdf

Didn't have the institution I was looking for but it does have Athabasca!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...