Premed 101 Forums

wGPA Question

Hi folks, 

I was wondering if I was eligible to apply this cycle, and if so, what the wGPA calculation would look like given my circumstances: 

1st year: 3.60 GPA (5 courses one semester, 4 in the other, 3 pass grades—2 in one semester) --> Extenuating circumstances 

2nd year: 3.90 GPA (5 courses each semester, 2 pass courses in one semester)

3rd year: 3.98 (6 courses each semester - overloaded) 

4th year: 4.00 (6 courses each semester - overloaded) 

Thank you so much for your help. 

Are you taking a fifth year? If not, I don't think you're eligible to apply because:

Applications will be accepted from students in good standing who will have successfully completedprior to the beginning of June preceding registration, in a recognized university, three years of full-time studies (five courses per semester each per year)

Years 1 and 2 don't count. so you're left with only 2 years. Which is a shame since you would end up with 3.98*1+4*2=3.99. On the bright side, your 2 year GPA is amazing for Western and Queens. 

That being said, don't base application decisions off what someone on the internet told you; email them to confirm. With the caveat that they specifically state part-time studies disqualify you in the FAQ. 

2 hours ago, MedicineLCS said:

Are you taking a fifth year? If not, I don't think you're eligible to apply because:

Years 1 and 2 don't count. so you're left with only 2 years. Which is a shame since you would end up with 3.98*1+4*2=3.99. On the bright side, your 2 year GPA is amazing for Western and Queens. 

That being said, don't base application decisions off what someone on the internet told you; email them to confirm. With the caveat that they specifically state part-time studies disqualify you in the FAQ. 

I updated my first year situation, I didn’t want to explain the breakdown fully due to the potential of it being identifying to admissions. Anyways, I suspect you’re right, I’ll send an email to them :( 

On 9/5/2019 at 10:28 PM, Donald_Duck said:

Although the semesters with more than 1 pass fail course will not count towards wGPA calculation, the credit itself for the course might still be taken into consideration (the exception might be the pre-req classes where they need at least a B). I would not lose hope just yet, email them and see.

Mr Duck

Thank you for your insight. All of the courses that are passes are not pre-reqs fortunately. I’ve emailed them but they haven’t replied for a few days now, I may call in.