Premed 101 Forums

Federal Election 2019

Compton
Message added by Med0123

This discussion is getting heated.  We are all adults and I think this thread should be kept open, but I would ask everyone to take a step back, realize that this is a public forum and try to have a tempered and collegial discussion of the relevant healthcare topics associated with the federal elections. Thank you.

Message added by cleanup

The OP (Compton) has requested that I close the thread as he believes it has derailed from its original intention. Have a good night everyone and fingers crossed people have come away from the posts with something new learned or realized. Cheers. 

20 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

It does not. That does not mean anything when many conservative voters don't like them because they are brown/ Muslim. They won't ever truly be accepted because of their religon + skin colour. Go on some facebook pages of brown Conservative (Sikh) candidates with turbans and beards to see the hate from conservative voters themselves... that's like arguing that there are some hypothetical LGBT conservative MPs...very ironic when Scheer has publicly compared gay people to dogs on more than one occasion and has never apologized. 

So a few online trolls discredit the whole party (who may not be actual voters btw or even Canadian.. don't be so gullible) ? Also, the worst of the worst people - the communists/radical lefties will be supporting Trudeau this election. And they have supported the Liberals very often in the past whenever the NDP wasn't a viable competitor. Does that equate Trudeau and the Liberals to radical commies? No. And the people I'm describing are far farrrr worse than the ones on the right wing. Yet I have the decency to admit Trudeau isn't that messed up.

Same goes on the American side. Radical lefties, who are even worse than Trump (by a huge margin), supported Hillary in 2016. Yet Hillary was realistically a mediocre half-decent person and politician. Being supported by freaks doesn't make her one, again that's something for you to learn. 

On 9/24/2019 at 11:22 PM, YesIcan55 said:

It does not. That does not mean anything when many conservative voters don't like them because they are brown/ Muslim. They won't ever truly be accepted because of their religon + skin colour. Go on some facebook pages of brown Conservative (Sikh) candidates with turbans and beards to see the hate from conservative voters themselves... that's like arguing that there are some hypothetical LGBT conservative MPs...very ironic when Scheer has publicly compared gay people to dogs on more than one occasion and has never apologized. 

Hey, long time lurker here. Made an account just to give you a little bit of friendly advice. Feel free to take it or leave it. Medicine has traditionally been, and largely remains, a widely conservative profession. To wit, this is changing as demographics change, times change etc. but as a student/resident/physician, you will meet MANY openly conservative preceptors, residents, staff, not to mention patients. If your gut reaction is to dismiss these people as racist, mouth breathing troglodytic skinheads, you're going to have a terribly difficult time as a student/resident/staff. Dealing charitably and respectfully with patients and colleagues, who often have views, opinions, and lifestyles radically different from your own, is an integral part of the profession. I see anti-vaxxers on a fairly regular basis, fundamentalist Christians, etc. If I went with my gut reaction and dismissed these people as uneducated morons, racists, etc., I would be failing as a doc. There are TONS of conservative individuals in the medical profession. You don't have to agree with them, but you're going to have to communicate with them more respectfully than you have on this particular thread. 

I don't want to be 'that guy' who stalks your post history and drags up old posts, but in so many of your posts you seem to take a very aggressive, belittling, condescending tone with other posters.

2 hours ago, Sporksorsh782 said:

Hey, long time lurker here. Made an account just to give you a little bit of friendly advice. Feel free to take it or leave it. Medicine has traditionally been, and largely remains, a widely conservative profession. To wit, this is changing as demographics change, times change etc. but as a student/resident/physician, you will meet MANY openly conservative preceptors, residents, staff, not to mention patients. If your gut reaction is to dismiss these people as racist, mouth breathing troglodytic skinheads, you're going to have a terribly difficult time as a student/resident/staff. Dealing charitably and respectfully with patients and colleagues, who often have views, opinions, and lifestyles radically different from your own, is an integral part of the profession. I see anti-vaxxers on a fairly regular basis, fundamentalist Christians, etc. If I went with my gut reaction and dismissed these people as uneducated morons, racists, etc., I would be failing as a doc. There are TONS of conservative individuals in the medical profession. You don't have to agree with them, but you're going to have to communicate with them more respectfully than you have on this particular thread. 

I don't want to be 'that guy' who stalks your post history and drags up old posts, but in so many of your posts you seem to take a very aggressive, belittling, condescending tone with other posters.

I've been around the forum helping students for years... this guy has a way of creating so many inflammatory and distasteful posts with no tact nor diplomacy. You don't even have to dig deep into the post history it's just in your face. The level of ignorance and lack of emotional intelligence is just sad to see. 

- G 

55 minutes ago, GH0ST said:

I've been around the forum helping students for years... this guy has a way of creating so many inflammatory and distasteful posts with no tact nor diplomacy. You don't even have to dig deep into the post history it's just in your face. The level of ignorance and lack of emotional intelligence is just sad to see. 

- G 

Is he a med/professional student or still in undergrad?

really quite sad to be ganged up by online tough guys....do I hold strong political views? Yes. Do you understand why I am so angry at members on a certain political spectrum? Maybe you don't understand how it feels to be spat on in public transport or to have family members fear their safety due to their appearance/what they wear. I could express my feelings in a more eloquent manner and not generalize for sure. This does not give you a right to act morally superior and condemn me. It's also hilarious when one person like GH0ST posts something attacking me, you'll have someone else (Aang) jump in minutes later like real life bullies who feed off each other. It's none of your business what kind of student I am or I am "a guy" even or not. 

9 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

really quite sad to be ganged up by online tough guys....do I hold strong political views? Yes. Do you understand why I am so angry at members on a certain political spectrum? Maybe you don't understand how it feels to be spat on in public transport or to have family members fear their safety due to their appearance/what they wear. I could express my feelings in a more eloquent manner and not generalize for sure. This does not give you a right to act morally superior and condemn me. It's also hilarious when one person like GH0ST posts something attacking me, you'll have someone else (Aang) jump in minutes later like real life bullies who feed off each other. It's none of your business what kind of student I am or I am "a guy" even or not. 

Eh it's not really skin off my back either way. You just have a way of making aggressive posts and you view things as black and white. I won't post on this topic anymore as I can see it's starting to get derailed. I doubt you'd ever change your ways anyways so there's really no point for either of us to get worked up. Best for me to just use the ignore function so I can see the more productive and contributory posts. 

You're not the only one in life to experience racism. 

Anyways good luck in what you do. 

- G 

9 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

This does not give you a right to act morally superior and condemn me.

Agreed. Perhaps you can take your own advice as well since you condemned half the community with some of the rude comments you made in previous pages. Unlike some of the comments you made towards me and other users, I don't like your opinions, but I will defend your right to say them. 

Are we going to get a mod in here? This thread is getting out of hand. 

8 minutes ago, Vivieeeeeee said:

Agreed. Perhaps you can take your own advice as well since you condemned half the community with some of the rude comments you made in previous pages. 

Are we going to get a mod in here? This thread is getting out of hand. 

It’s like our own version of CDO vs OMA up in here.

17 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

News flash. You're wrong and so are your views. 

Capitalism is here to stay, don't like it? Go to a commie country. And radical left wing idealogy is poison and far worse than radical Trump followers. 

:)

Lets try to shift this discussion back to election issues:)

1. Do people feel that Canada needs a national pharmacare plan? If so, do you think we can afford to pay for it through higher taxes (even though we already pay a lot of taxes) or through other means? 

2. Liberals plan to run very high deficits for the next 4 years with no plan to balance the budget (apparently it balances itself?). The Conservatives plan to balance the budget in the next 5 years if elected (meaning high spending cuts). Is this an issue for you when you go to vote?

40 minutes ago, Compton said:

1. Do people feel that Canada needs a national pharmacare plan? If so, do you think we can afford to pay for it through higher taxes (even though we already pay a lot of taxes) or through other means? 

2. Liberals plan to run very high deficits for the next 4 years with no plan to balance the budget (apparently it balances itself?). The Conservatives plan to balance the budget in the next 5 years if elected (meaning high spending cuts). Is this an issue for you when you go to vote?

1. It would always be nice to have national pharmacare. This basically boils down to a choice of the lesser evil question: higher taxes or no/little medication coverage. My guess is people who live on their parents' money will likely pick the politically correct response (they aren't paying taxes anyway, parents are), and those who have an income of their own, a family to feed would likely pick the other.

2. Yeah, a huge one. I voted Liberal in 2015 and that was probably the biggest mistake of my life. In retrospect I really don't think people under 25 should vote. Most people are literally getting drunk, smoking weed, and having unprotected sex with their Tinder dates at age 19-23 without caring enough about politics/the implications of paying their own bills anyway. People just aren't that mature nowadays. And it makes them especially gullible to the alienating, PC rhetoric certain parties love to employ because to these kids, money literally grows from trees so it's never an issue, and the budget will balance itself.

33 minutes ago, lurker321 said:

1. It would always be nice to have national pharmacare. This basically boils down to a choice of the lesser evil question: higher taxes or no/little medication coverage. My guess is people who live on their parents' money will likely pick the politically correct response (they aren't paying taxes anyway, parents are), and those who have an income of their own, a family to feed would likely pick the other.

2. Yeah, a huge one. I voted Liberal in 2015 and that was probably the biggest mistake of my life. In retrospect I really don't think people under 25 should vote. Most people are literally getting drunk, smoking weed, and having unprotected sex with their Tinder dates at age 19-23 without caring enough about politics/the implications of paying their own bills anyway. People just aren't that mature nowadays. And it makes them especially gullible to the alienating, PC rhetoric certain parties love to employ because to these kids, money literally grows from trees so it's never an issue, and the budget will balance itself.

did you literally make an account just to post this lol? You must have a very privileged life if "the biggest mistake of your life" was voting for a political party...and you're the one calling other people immature and casting judgments. The polls don't lie. As of today the Liberals have an almost 70% chance of winning, and it is slowly going up each day.  

6 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

did you literally make an account just to post this lol? You must have a very privileged life if "the biggest mistake of your life" was voting for a political party...and you're the one calling other people immature and casting judgments. The polls don't lie. As of today the Liberals have an almost 70% chance of winning, and it is slowly going up each day.  

OP asked for my opinion. I couldn't care less about what the polls say. Not everyone participates in such polls and there is always a sampling bias depending on the medium's pre-existing political affiliation, which will decide the audience/participants. If the liberals win good for their supporters, it doesn't mean my view is wrong. 

14 minutes ago, lurker321 said:

OP asked for my opinion. I couldn't care less about what the polls say. Not everyone participates in such polls and there is always a sampling bias depending on the medium's pre-existing political affiliation, which will decide the audience/participants. If the liberals win good for their supporters, it doesn't mean my view is wrong. 

I never said your view is wrong. Maybe I shouldn't have replied your post directly but someone looking at this thread would think that the Conservatives are on their way to a landslide majority victory lol. I just wanted to state that as a whole Liberals are still leading by far, and projected an easy win. 

8 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

I never said your view is wrong. Maybe I shouldn't have replied your post directly but someone looking at this thread would think that the Conservatives are on their way to a landslide majority victory lol. I just wanted to state that as a whole Liberals are still leading by far, and projected an easy win. 

They're behind in the latest polls and a slim minority win is what is projected right now. And yes a forum of doctors and doctors-to-be will be conservative. Hopefully people with your views don't join the OMA and ruin us from the inside out. 

14 minutes ago, medigeek said:

They're behind in the latest polls and a slim minority win is what is projected right now. And yes a forum of doctors and doctors-to-be will be conservative. Hopefully people with your views don't join the OMA and ruin us from the inside out. 

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Projected seats 162 vs 139 is not "behind in the latest polls"...they are leading by far.

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

Projected seats 162 vs 139 is not "behind in the latest polls"...they are leading by far.

If you were more familiar with the polling companies then you would see why it's much closer than that. And that's not "leading by far" when you have no idea how a seat projection works. Even your seat projection is still a very close race. 

3 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

Honestly, at this point if you are still going to have direct confrontations with people who just want to address election issues, I'd rather just have the mods close this thread. Regardless, I asked a few questions about election issues..do you mind contributing to them?

3 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

Image result for the polls don't lie meme

3 hours ago, Compton said:

Honestly, at this point if you are still going to have direct confrontations with people who just want to address election issues, I'd rather just have the mods close this thread. Regardless, I asked a few questions about election issues..do you mind contributing to them?

Thank you. It's funny this guy called me privileged when I had multiple run-ins with CAS/police as a child due to domestic issues while my parents were too busy fighting each other to put food on the table. But yeah I'm privileged because I said an internet opinion he doesn't like. I guess the "snowflake" stereotypes are true to some extent. :)

3 hours ago, lurker321 said:

Thank you. It's funny this guy called me privileged when I had multiple run-ins with CAS/police as a child due to domestic issues while my parents were too busy fighting each other to put food on the table. But yeah I'm privileged because I said an internet opinion he doesn't like. I guess the "snowflake" stereotypes are true to some extent. :)

you said "the worst mistake of my life was voting Liberal." Taking that statement at face value means you are indeed very privileged that  your worst mistake is voting for a political party....

13 hours ago, Compton said:

Yep I do. Lots of people are on medication which racks up a significant bill throughout the year (not just for diseases too, how about birth control- that's not cheap and not having access to that would be way more expensive), and lots of people go without medication because they can't afford to (put food on table for families, rent, etc) and incur a worse progression of health outcomes (due to not following their prescribed medical treatment) which ends up costing the health care system more. People may end up paying more in taxes, but may overall end up paying less (due to coverage of their drugs, not having to miss work due to being sick). The next step that could come from this ideally would be to get rid of private insurers for medication coverage to improve the government's bargaining potential (only buyer -> more bargaining power) in establishing costs of medication with drug companies; cheaper drugs.

No I don't. I'd rather effort and money is spent on progressive policies that are investments into a good future for us and our children. The recent childcare initiative, that lifted around 500,000 people out of poverty, is a good example. Let's face it. Climate change is going to overturn the table in terms of lasting impact, damage, and costs. No amount of budget balancing's going to help this. At least the liberals are making some effort to prepare for climate change, while the conservatives haven't made any good faith efforts and are heavily in bed with oil companies. What's the point of trying to balance the budget, when Conservatives don't even have a good track record of budget balancing, only cut budgets to needed social supports (look to recent cuts to teaching and education for one) that will only end up costing us in the long run, and will likely end up benefiting the large corporations and the uber wealthy at the cost of the people who need these social supports? This will only increase inequality and make Canadian society sicker. 

When it comes down to it, I am concerned about the future. Liberals are making a good faith attempt to prepare for the future. Conservatives are short-sighted and do not offer policies that will do this. That's how it goes.

Can we also just discuss policy here.. just seems like a lot of attacking each other and playing identity politics- we are all anonymous people on the internet.. there's no point.

1 hour ago, conbrio said:

Yep I do. Lots of people are on medication which racks up a significant bill throughout the year (not just for diseases too, how about birth control- that's not cheap and not having access to that would be way more expensive), and lots of people go without medication because they can't afford to (put food on table for families, rent, etc) and incur a worse progression of health outcomes (due to not following their prescribed medical treatment) which ends up costing the health care system more. People may end up paying more in taxes, but may overall end up paying less (due to coverage of their drugs, not having to miss work due to being sick). The next step that could come from this ideally would be to get rid of private insurers for medication coverage to improve the government's bargaining potential (only buyer -> more bargaining power) in establishing costs of medication with drug companies; cheaper drugs.

No I don't. I'd rather effort and money is spent on progressive policies that are investments into a good future for us and our children. The recent childcare initiative, that lifted around 500,000 people out of poverty, is a good example. Let's face it. Climate change is going to overturn the table in terms of lasting impact, damage, and costs. No amount of budget balancing's going to help this. At least the liberals are making some effort to prepare for climate change, while the conservatives haven't made any good faith efforts and are heavily in bed with oil companies. What's the point of trying to balance the budget, when Conservatives don't even have a good track record of budget balancing, only cut budgets to needed social supports (look to recent cuts to teaching and education for one) that will only end up costing us in the long run, and will likely end up benefiting the large corporations and the uber wealthy at the cost of the people who need these social supports? This will only increase inequality and make Canadian society sicker. 

When it comes down to it, I am concerned about the future. Liberals are making a good faith attempt to prepare for the future. Conservatives are short-sighted and do not offer policies that will do this. That's how it goes.

Can we also just discuss policy here.. just seems like a lot of attacking each other and playing identity politics- we are all anonymous people on the internet.. there's no point.

Thank you for expressing my exact thoughts very eloquently. It's a shame that conservatives couldn't give a crap about the vulnerable and disadvantaged in our society at the if it comes at the expense of tax breaks. Heck, many conservatives couldn't give a crap about the lives of the Muslims, LGBT and refugees even if it was free. As someone who has come from worse circumstances than most people, if I ever "make it" I won't forget my roots and try and advocate for things that will advantage me financially. It's extra sad on a forum of doctors/doctors-in-training/doctor hopefuls the amount of hostility that comes when people sense/fear any ways that their renumeration will decrease. Doctors aren't God-like beings that deserve these exorbitant incomes (yes, their income is exorbitant compared to 99% of the population and almost every other country in the world). Many other professionals train for years, and work very hard for a fraction of the income without the "prestige" and job security. I don't want to derail to a discussion of income, but this is what things seem to come down to...