Premed 101 Forums

Lesson for medical students and residents

https://doctors.cpso.on.ca/DoctorDetails/Gerald-Paul-Dempsey/0062403-55892?type=num&term=55892

Everyone will make good money in medicine, but in as much we focus on the top line, if you don't manage your bottom line and cash-flow well you're no better off. 

Also in case people on ON have not noticed, the CPSO have been ever expanding their authority and scope of "discipline".  AKA, we are treated as independent contractors, monitored like employees, and used like government pawns.

Are you joking? It amazes me how many med students/doctors think that it's our right to be accountable to nobody, as if we're royalty. 

This doctor disrespected his profession, patients, and tax-payers by his withholding of medical records (and it also sounds like some records were incorrectly maintained), his repeated lies and scapegoating of patients making complaints, and, of course, undertaking sexual relationships with the mothers of his patients.

Please consider the implications on your own license of people like this being allowed to practice. It's disgraceful, and he was clearly given the benefit of the doubt multiple times over, even when he was caught in lies. 

I would be most concerned regarding this:

"Dr. Dempsey admitted that between 1998 and 1999, and between 2001 and 2004, he entered into sexual and romantic relationships with the mothers of two of his patients while continuing to provide care and treatment to the patients. "

CPSO has clear guidelines that physicians should not enter into romantic or sexual relationships with a patient's family members due to power differential and conflicts of interests.

The above mentioned physician was suspended for 2 months and will begin to practice in November 2019, I hope that he learnt his lessons. 

1 hour ago, Hanmari said:

Don't put yourself in the financial situation where after 24 years of practice you can't call it quits when you're hit with something like this.

also don't be hit by something like this by you know....not actually sleeping with your patients or the parents of children in your care etc and obeying well established ethical guidelines. 

Ha, I am all for financial planning but I admitting laugh a bit at the idea people should prepare themselves with solid financial management so they are safe if their misdeads are discovered :)