Premed 101 Forums

How important are extra-curriculars for CaRMS?

1. ECs that matter: Research

2. ECs that somewhat matter: Leadership positions, impressive interesting/unique experiences that can be brought up during a professional interview

3. ECs that don't matter much: Fluff that is interesting/meaningful to you (only because it could possibly be useful during an interview)

4. ECs that don't matter at all: Fluff that is more or less pointless (generic experiences that people skip over if they were to see it on your CV)

Overall ECs don't matter much except for research in more competitive fields. And even for research it is often just a checkbox unless you're able to publish something truly impressive (which comes down to winning the lottery basically). Aside from research, you only need enough of 2. and 3. to fill up a page or two on your CV.

For matching it comes down to not having red flags (most important) > elective performance/networking > LORs >> Research >>> Other ECs.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:48 PM, 1D7 said:

1. ECs that matter: Research

2. ECs that somewhat matter: Leadership positions, impressive interesting/unique experiences that can be brought up during a professional interview

3. ECs that don't matter much: Fluff that is interesting/meaningful to you (only because it could possibly be useful during an interview)

4. ECs that don't matter at all: Fluff that is more or less pointless (generic experiences that people skip over if they were to see it on your CV)

Overall ECs don't matter much except for research in more competitive fields. And even for research it is often just a checkbox unless you're able to publish something truly impressive (which comes down to winning the lottery basically). Aside from research, you only need enough of 2. and 3. to fill up a page or two on your CV.

For matching it comes down to not having red flags (most important) > elective performance/networking > LORs >> Research >>> Other ECs.

I'm really happy to read this...It seems people in my class are taking on 4-6 EC's a month into med school. I'm trying to just keep up with the material so this is making me feel less behind