Premed 101 Forums

I have really enjoyed my Peds rotation as well as IM rotation and their ambulatory options and can see myself enjoy doing either of them as a career. So I was thinking of taking electives in both in order apply to both. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Is it a good idea? You or anyone you know has done this? Would it reduce my chances of getting accepted if Carms Committees see that I have taken both electives?

It isn't common, but it happens. It used to happen more, but unfortunately, both peds and IM are getting quite competitive. Having electives in both won't hurt beyond limiting your elective opportunities vs dedicating all to one or the other. If you're obviously split down the middle based on your application you might have to have a convincing argument on why you would be good in peds for some programs, as they would want to know you're in it for the pediatric patients, as opposed to just loving nephrology so much that you could be either adult or peds nephro...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 10:17 PM, impforlife said:

I have really enjoyed my Peds rotation as well as IM rotation and their ambulatory options and can see myself enjoy doing either of them as a career. So I was thinking of taking electives in both in order apply to both. Anyone got any thoughts on this? Is it a good idea? You or anyone you know has done this? Would it reduce my chances of getting accepted if Carms Committees see that I have taken both electives?

How many weeks of electives do you have? With the new 8-week cap, more and more committees will be expecting students to take a bit more variety in electives, and certainly you could craft a good story to about why each elective was relevant to the other for your applications. Particularly since both IM and Peds are generalist electives with undifferentiated patients.