Premed 101 Forums

Aspiring-Doctor

I personally feel anatomy/physiology is more useful in medicine than cars (reading ambiguous passages). I feel it is useless to even have this as a metric to evaluate applicants. Anyways, do NS full length and timed practices (exam crackers 101) to improve your score. I know many people who went from 123 to 129 with practice. It is possible.

I rewrote a 127 CARS and scored 129 the second time around. My strategy was just more practice. In the last week or so leading up to my test date, I was doing 9 passages a day all at once timed as a full length (90 minutes). Definitely build up to this, but I felt it really helped me. Make sure to review everything, right or wrong, to get a better understanding of question logic. I just used **DELETED** and AAMC materials and felt that was enough. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I rewrote the MCAT 6 times all because of CARS.

it takes a lot of practice and perseverance. For me, i really needed to handle my emotions on test day because I had so many negative experiences. I started with a 123, was stagnant at 124 for years, 125, and finally a 127 this past year. What I did differently was that I became friends with someone who had the same problem. We did 1-3 passages daily over 6 months and then discussed our answers, including our reasoning for each answer. Knowing how to tackle and reason out the questions is what really matters, and I would recommend using different sources for practice- I used JW passages, TPR, redid AAMC. Good luck and you will eventually overcome it!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you want to get it right and have support to help you get the score you need I would suggest a course I did.  The price was very fair for the amount of one on one time I got with them.  Got my score from 126 to 132 on practice test and then 129 on the real thing (there was a power outage during my test, that made me nervous and messed up my score).  I currently have a interview for this year, and hoping for more.  PM me if you want more info. 

I absolutely despised that section. Never felt confident, always doubted myself. Practice is key, try out different strategies! First, try to read the questions first before tackling the paragraph so your mind is primed to look for certain clues while you read. But overall, practice is key. Do 3-4 passages a day, and gauge whether or not you're improving!

I used JW for a couple months and was able to increase my score from a 510 (129/125/127/129) to a 516 (129/128/130/129) !! CARS was definitely the score I am the most grateful for, it's tough and very unpredictable. 

I agree with has been said above. I think the number one thing is practice and be confident. I went from 123 to 128 in CARS. I did as many questions as I can get my hands on. Was doing 12-15 passages a day for a good 3 weeks before the exam. I think there is so many CARS practice out there, the old books works as well. Confidence was key for me, I think the practice helped me become more confident. However, I didnt practice much on any science sessions that summer when I re-did mcat. If you are struggling with analysis of the text, taking a course is good. JW is a nice resource to check out. 

On 10/1/2019 at 7:42 PM, MDStudenthappy said:

I personally feel anatomy/physiology is more useful in medicine than cars (reading ambiguous passages). I feel it is useless to even have this as a metric to evaluate applicants. Anyways, do NS full length and timed practices (exam crackers 101) to improve your score. I know many people who went from 123 to 129 with practice. It is possible.

Completely disagree. 

your knowledge of chemistry and physics going into med school is irrelevant. 

your ability to read fast and work quickly to decipher relevant information is a far better metric