Premed 101 Forums

GPA?

Ricks

This will be rounded to the lowest whole integer, so it will be 3.00.

J/k 

seriously, it doesn’t matter. It’ll probably be higher than 90+ % of applicants and hopefully the rest of your application is similarly strong. Don’t expend any more cognitive energy on this question. Have fun and sleep well at night. 

LL

5 hours ago, Ricks said:

Hello All,

I was just wondering how GPA is rounded in OMSAS/Med Schools? I have a 3.995/4. Will this be rounded to 4? Any thoughts? I know OMSAS will give us GPA calculations in a month or so but I just wanted to know early on.

only a 3.995?!?!?!?! better pack your sunscreen my friend :lol:

like others said, that won't make a bit of difference with a GPA that high. you good.

Oh wow. Thanks guys.

It's just that my dad (neurologist in Scarborough) tells me about all of these "amazing" students he worked with who had "4/4" and didn't get in. Knowing my dad, he may be over estimating everyone's GPA, but it still drives me insane with anxiety.

But thanks to everyone who responded anyways.

9 hours ago, Ricks said:

Oh wow. Thanks guys.

It's just that my dad (neurologist in Scarborough) tells me about all of these "amazing" students he worked with who had "4/4" and didn't get in. Knowing my dad, he may be over estimating everyone's GPA, but it still drives me insane with anxiety.

But thanks to everyone who responded anyways.

Unless your dad is on the admissions committee and actively involved in admissions at every school in Canada, then he doesn't have a full picture of admissions to medical school in Canada today.

Agree with @theevilsloth who said that GPA gets you in the door. A 3.9 will do that.

I strongly suggest that you do some research on the med school admissions websites, some are very transparent with statistics of matriculants vs the general applicant pool, and what goes into the "recipe" of selecting medical students. It is a variable recipe, depends on the school, and it's vital to understand how it works from place to place.

Wishing you all the best on your journey,

LL

On 10/4/2019 at 10:08 AM, Ricks said:

Hello All,

I was just wondering how GPA is rounded in OMSAS/Med Schools? I have a 3.995/4. Will this be rounded to 4? Any thoughts? I know OMSAS will give us GPA calculations in a month or so but I just wanted to know early on.

Bruh.....

This is the pinnacle of pre med neuroticism. Go outside and have some fun. Stop thinking about GPA and MCAT for a few hours.