Premed 101 Forums

Can a high CARS alone really get you in?

I recently scored a 500 (122/128/122/128) on the MCAT with a 128 (90th) in CARS. Now I'm sitting here wondering if a high CARS score but a low overall MCAT can actually get you in. Is there anyone out there who has heard of anyone getting in with low sciences but high CARS?

Thank you for your time and energy.  

This is U of C specifically: High CARS will help your chances of getting an interview. The rest of the MCAT isn't as stringently evaluated from my understanding - depends who looks at your application and how they consider your MCAT on their 'subjective assessment of academic merit' score.

Once you get to the interview stage, I would argue that pre-interview scores don't make a huge difference anymore. In the past (God knows how many cycles now), I have had high application scores despite having super low CARS. I wasn't able to get in because I bombed the interview. So ya, high pre MMI scores (including CARS) cannot really compensate for a poor interview.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, LiconC said:

I recently scored a 500 (122/128/122/128) on the MCAT with a 128 (90th) in CARS. Now I'm sitting here wondering if a high CARS score but a low overall MCAT can actually get you in. Is there anyone out there who has heard of anyone getting in with low sciences but high CARS?

Thank you for your time and energy.  

This question is asked from time to time and the answer is yes, it is possible. This was my strategy and I am a current U of C med student. I decided to write the MCAT on somewhat of a whim, one week out from registering for it, as that was the last possible date that would allow me to apply the year that I did.  I came from a non-science background so I knew the science sections would be pure guessing. Took this approach knowing I would only be able to apply to U of C and McMaster and got into both schools.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:38 AM, catlady403 said:

This question is asked from time to time and the answer is yes, it is possible. This was my strategy and I am a current U of C med student. I decided to write the MCAT on somewhat of a whim, one week out from registering for it, as that was the last possible date that would allow me to apply the year that I did.  I came from a non-science background so I knew the science sections would be pure guessing. Took this approach knowing I would only be able to apply to U of C and McMaster and scored 123/129/123/130 which was enough to get me into both schools.

What was your GPA?

On 12/9/2019 at 9:38 AM, catlady403 said:

This question is asked from time to time and the answer is yes, it is possible. This was my strategy and I am a current U of C med student. I decided to write the MCAT on somewhat of a whim, one week out from registering for it, as that was the last possible date that would allow me to apply the year that I did.  I came from a non-science background so I knew the science sections would be pure guessing. Took this approach knowing I would only be able to apply to U of C and McMaster and scored 123/129/123/130 which was enough to get me into both schools.

I love you. We are the same.