Premed 101 Forums

Getting into McGill’s Med-P program

Hi!

Right now, I’m a CEGEP first year (science nat). 

I want to get into McGill’s Med-P program, what should I do, during my 2 years here, to optimize my chances? What r-score should I target? What looks good on an admission?

I’m super motivated and I’ll do whatever I need to do. 

I’m just 16 years old so I’m going to school in my hometown. My CEGEP isn’t a very “reputable” one but hopefully this won’t lower my chances…? 

Thank you so much to anyone who’s willing to help! ☺️

2 hours ago, Mil nurse said:

I know a few friends that got in, it is EXTREMELY competitive! R score of at least 36..( my friend had 40 and 38), lots of volunteer work, try to have one consistent one over the years( hospitals are always looking for volunteers), school club, sports... everthing really

McGill is very unpredictable. I volunteered at a place for 4 years and another for 2 years (overlapped with my first one, I was doing both at the same time), while working summers and being a peer tutor at high school and cegep just to score very low CV wise (400th or 500th something/800-something applicants), whereas a friend of mine did a lot less stuff than me yet scored higher, so that's definitely very weird.

Long story short, I had a 36.3, a 15th percentile CASPer and because of my CV (for reasons that escape me) I did not even get an interview.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:31 AM, maggiejumags said:

Hi!

Right now, I’m a CEGEP first year (science nat). 

I want to get into McGill’s Med-P program, what should I do, during my 2 years here, to optimize my chances? What r-score should I target? What looks good on an admission?

I’m super motivated and I’ll do whatever I need to do. 

I’m just 16 years old so I’m going to school in my hometown. My CEGEP isn’t a very “reputable” one but hopefully this won’t lower my chances…? 

Thank you so much to anyone who’s willing to help! ☺️

Firstly, do very well academically. And be kind to others and humble. This goes a long way.

Secondly, demonstrate CanMEDS competencies through your ECs and volunteering! Contribute to society, demonstrate leadership, empathy, collaboration, management skills, etc in your activities and properly prepare your CV.

Finally, have a Plan B! My grades were so low in Cégep that I would not apply to the Med-P program. I took the Exercise Science Program with Specialty at Concordia and got into Med school directly from there. I gain in maturity, focus, discipline and today am Chief Resident in my department in a highly competitive surgical specialty. You have no idea when and where lightning will strike and you must plan for detours as part of your life path. A friend with top grades and a wonderful CV was not accepted into the Med-P program after his interview as he interviewed poorly. He did his undergrad and is now in the MDCM-PhD Program! 

You have to understand that you are in a marathon, and perseverance is an absolute requirement, as is motivation, focus, discipline, studying smart for you, and stress and time management skills. Going out with a s.o. who is not focused, who is a distraction and does not genuinely have your best interests at heart, can absolutely derail your career plans. Your every decision must be strategic to achieve your goal. And you must be résiliant and be able to deal with setbacks and failures. Good luck on your exciting journey! :P