Premed 101 Forums

USask vs UCalgary and UoA

tebabeba

1 minute ago, tebabeba said:

Don't take my word for it but yes it is true. However for me it's unviable because there aren't any uni's up there and I do not want to do an online degree. 

Interesting regardless though I just never put myself into thinking about what it's like for someone in the Yukon. 

I also don't get the saltiness of some of the comments ... it's the same logic as those who think affirmative action programs or those that give more technical leniency to those from different backgrounds. Regardless of where you are generally speaking in Canada you have plenty of opportunities in various competitive pools. Saying somewhere is easier or harder to get into completely undermines those from IP that understand the culture of the province as well as their connections to the province and people within it. Last time I checked I've had chances to work with students and residents and in general the good ones exist from all schools. What is it with people just wanting to dumpster other programs? Good physicians are trained throughout Canada. 

- G

1 minute ago, GH0ST said:

Interesting regardless though I just never put myself into thinking about what it's like for someone in the Yukon. 

I also don't get the saltiness of some of the comments ... it's the same logic as those who think affirmative action programs or those that give more technical leniency to those from different backgrounds. Regardless of where you are generally speaking in Canada you have plenty of opportunities in various competitive pools. Saying somewhere is easier or harder to get into completely undermines those from IP that understand the culture of the province as well as their connections to the province and people within it. Last time I checked I've had chances to work with students and residents and in general the good ones exist from all schools. What is it with people just wanting to dumpster other programs? Good physicians are trained throughout Canada. 

- G

I honestly don't know where I stand. On one hand, it must be horrible living in a province that doesn't have enough doctors. On the other hand, why am I punished in Ontario? If the government REALLY wanted more doctors they'd open more seats and make it less of a rat race. Just seems to me that they don't want to pay the taxes... 

I also don't understand these people saying "if you really wanted to be a doctor then you wouldn't mind applying for 5 years" and then turn around and get salty about people getting in on their first shot. I know med school and residency are going to be hell, but I'd much rather get there sooner than later. 

For all of you questioning my motives, I am type 1 Diabetic and struggle with mental health issues. My family lives in one of the top 5 poorest nations in the world. My only goal in life is to help kids who've struggled like me and like my family back home. I want to become a doctor as fast as I can so I can help those kids again. I'm actually considering moving to my country after getting my MD. 

Ok enough of the sob story I'm just done with people being salty and rude when they know nothing about me. 

Nothing wrong with provincial preference policies—most people would not stay in Saskatchewan if they didn't have a significant history there prior to their medical training. The only issue with their policy is how lenient it is, but that's on them. It's not some next level deceptive exploit anyone is pulling. Their policy explicitly makes it known that you just gotta be there for a few years to gain IP status... should be easily foreseeable to the policy maker that some people will move there just for IP status. 

As for admission criteria fairness, I think applicants are usually overly self-centered in their views on 'fairness'. Usually these criteria are made with specific needs of the population in mind—applicants are a secondary passing thought. So yeah, maybe the average applicant at Sask medical school would not have been able to interview at A, B, C medical schools but at the end of the day the reason the average whatever admission criteria is lower in Sask is because their pool of applicants is tiny (95% of their seats reserved for in-province applicants). But those are the people who would actually stay in Sask after training and that's what really counts from the perspective of the province and patients. It sucks to be an applicant in and from Ontario but unlike Sask, Ontario med schools do not have the same issue with receiving applications nor retaining 'outsiders'.

Overall personally I don't think it's wise to go to a particular province straight from high school just for IP status. You don't know if the criteria will change overnight. You don't know if you'll pick another career (from HS->end of uni many people change their minds, or have their minds changed for them). You don't know if you'll do well enough to make it in even without IP status.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:47 PM, Edict said:

Make sure you want to go to Sask as well, this is going to be 4 years of your life. These admissions rules are very fickle and can change as well. Make sure you won't be devastated if you lose IP status. ... More likely than not, your choice won't be the reason you got or didn't get into medical school, but what is guaranteed is where you spend the next 4 years of your life, the friends you will make and this can all influence what alternative careers you embark on.