Premed 101 Forums

Plan moving forward (3.69 GPA, 514 MCAT)

Hello everyone!

I finished undergrad with a cGPA of 3.69 and got an MCAT score of 514 (130/127/130/127)

I am IP for Ontario, what are my chances at Ontario MD schools and other schools outside of province?

Should I consider a second degree or move out of province and attain IP status somewhere else. I just finished a nursing degree and am currently working so I wouldn't have trouble working in another province for couple of years. I would prefer staying in ON, if that means doing a second degree here to boost my chances. I just wanted advice or options as to the most effective (not the fastest) route to an MD! (I can also try to rewrite the MCAT for a higher CARS score???)

Please help me out, thanks!

GPA is King.   Currently you may be able to apply to Western but you would need to raise your CARS first.   Western uses a weighted GPA formula of best 2 years and you would make the 3.7 interview cutoff  if you had only one pass/fail course in year 1 & year 2.   Other than that, you will need a 2nd undergrad and aim for +3.9 GPA to be competitive anywhere else.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/medicine/admission_requirements.html#grade_point_average

You can read on premed101 lots of ideas about moving to another province.  BC, Alberta, Sask, Territories, Maritimes are all potential places. You need to read the actual requirements for each school to see how to qualify.  Going to school there does not qualify you.

Your 4th year is all pass/fail courses? And it seems you have many other P/F courses throughout your undergrad. Many med schools will not count those years as full courseload. Your GPA is too low for UofT and Ottawa. Your GPA is fine for western but you’ll most likely need a 128 in CARS. It’s still worth applying because cut offs change every year and it could possibly come down to 127, although not very likely. 

You’re fine for Queens both GPA and MCAT wise, but you’ll have to find out if you are eligible considering your pass/fail courses. I think you have a shot here.

your GPA is low for Mac, and your CARS is 2 points below the average. I don’t think you have a shot here but I would still apply. If you absolutely destroy CASPer, you may have a chance. Who knows. But I wouldn’t bank on it.

You are not eligible for UBC (GPA below cut off), Alberta & Calgary (CARS below cut off).

With a 128 in CARS you could have a shot with Western, and Alberta schools. 

I think your best course of action is moving to another province for IP status AND doing a second undergrad there. 

7 hours ago, RiderSx said:

Your 4th year is all pass/fail courses? And it seems you have many other P/F courses throughout your undergrad. Many med schools will not count those years as full courseload. Your GPA is too low for UofT and Ottawa. Your GPA is fine for western but you’ll most likely need a 128 in CARS. It’s still worth applying because cut offs change every year and it could possibly come down to 127, although not very likely. 

You’re fine for Queens both GPA and MCAT wise, but you’ll have to find out if you are eligible considering your pass/fail courses. I think you have a shot here.

your GPA is low for Mac, and your CARS is 2 points below the average. I don’t think you have a shot here but I would still apply. If you absolutely destroy CASPer, you may have a chance. Who knows. But I wouldn’t bank on it.

You are not eligible for UBC (GPA below cut off), Alberta & Calgary (CARS below cut off).

With a 128 in CARS you could have a shot with Western, and Alberta schools. 

I think your best course of action is moving to another province for IP status AND doing a second undergrad there. 

Yes, I had fair amount of P/F. My first year had 0 P/F courses and my third year only had 1 P/F

What would my chances be like it I decided to do a second undergrad in ON?

& which province would be the best to move to for IP status?

Thanks !

13 hours ago, Justwannagetby said:

Yes, I had fair amount of P/F. My first year had 0 P/F courses and my third year only had 1 P/F

What would my chances be like it I decided to do a second undergrad in ON?

& which province would be the best to move to for IP status?

Thanks !

Your chances would be better if you did a 2nd undergrad in Ontario, but it is still the most competitive province. Even with a very good GPA you'll still need a higher CARS for Western, and most likely Mac, as well as most out of province medical schools. Even then, you'll still be competing with ~3000-5000 applicants for ontario med schools.  You benefit a lot more by moving to another province. The best province to move to would be Yukon as it will give you IP status for MULTIPLE provinces (Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Memorial, etc..). The next best would be Saskatchewan as they have the highest acceptance rate in Canada for IP applicants. Alberta has two medical schools which would also be a good idea for IP status but they are both quite competitive. BC has a really lax residency requirement of 6 months so it's the easiest place to move to and their IP acceptance ratio is quite high. 

On 11/4/2019 at 12:19 PM, RiderSx said:

Your chances would be better if you did a 2nd undergrad in Ontario, but it is still the most competitive province. Even with a very good GPA you'll still need a higher CARS for Western, and most likely Mac, as well as most out of province medical schools. Even then, you'll still be competing with ~3000-5000 applicants for ontario med schools.  You benefit a lot more by moving to another province. The best province to move to would be Yukon as it will give you IP status for MULTIPLE provinces (Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Memorial, etc..). The next best would be Saskatchewan as they have the highest acceptance rate in Canada for IP applicants. Alberta has two medical schools which would also be a good idea for IP status but they are both quite competitive. BC has a really lax residency requirement of 6 months so it's the easiest place to move to and their IP acceptance ratio is quite high. 

Thanks so much!

Also just a follow up,, do you think that my stats would be competitive if I acquired IP in another province (ex Saskatchewan) without doing a second undergrad?

I could work for 3 years in another province and not do another degree if my current stats would be OK?

Thanks again:)