Premed 101 Forums

I think it would be nice to express your thanks in writing, either with a paper card or an email, at the very least (just thank them for the time and effort they invested in your training/career and say how much you appreciated their support). A gift card from a student to a professor might be a bit awkward; if you worked closely with them, perhaps you could come up with an idea for a more personalized gift they might enjoy, but I wouldn't say one is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with everyone that a hand written card is a very nice gesture, and will be remembered if you need to ask for references again in the future. You don’t have to write much - you can just say something as simple as “Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to write me a reference”! And if you don’t want to deliver it in person, you can send it in the mail to their office. 

No to gift card or $$ spent. I had a few from students over the years, and always felt a bit awkward - it’s difficult to decline them without hurting students feelings, but it also feels inappropriate to accept. Writing references is part the job, so they’re already paid to do it. But receiving a thank you card for the time spent doing it well is appreciated. 

This is not to say you can NEVER give a professor a gift. For example, I’ve given out a few bottles of wine or chocolates or small home made gifts to research supervisors / thesis supervisors (and received a few as well) at the end of our time working together. But it’s not really done for something as simple as a reference.

Agree except I'm not sure that I would say that profs are already paid to provide your reference, or that it's necessarily a simple task to write a personalized and detailed letter. It's certainly associated with and expected of the role in general, but I don't think there's any obligation to provide a reference for a student they don't know well or don't feel very supportive of. Not sure if this varies by field.

I personally handed out starbucks gift cards to all my references. I do this because I've asked for their references so many times (twice for med school applications and many, many times for job applications). I knew that they already bought from that store regardless so it would be used and appreciated. They all were flattered. I wouldn't give a gift to someone if I wasn't totally sure they would enjoy it.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:55 PM, Lactic Folly said:

Agree except I'm not sure that I would say that profs are already paid to provide your reference, or that it's necessarily a simple task to write a personalized and detailed letter. It's certainly associated with and expected of the role in general, but I don't think there's any obligation to provide a reference for a student they don't know well or don't feel very supportive of. Not sure if this varies by field.

I meant that the general task of giving references is widely considered to be part of the job when you are a employed as a professor, at least at my university. Just like that of an employer for an employee. 

Of course there’s no obligation to provide a personalized and detailed reference to every student who asks. But among my own department colleagues I found over the years (most frequently when we were all complaining around grad school and med school application season) that a majority do feel it is a professional obligation to provide at least a basic reference when asked. I always tell students I WILL give a reference, but I am very up front with them when I am unable to provide a STRONG reference. Most then decline. But I have had the occasional student who needed a reference for something to check some box, and even when I told them it wouldn't have anything other than a description of the course and the class average and their grade, they still wanted it - so they got it! And I have even given a rather detailed and poor reference to a student, after I told the student directly that’s what would happen, because they were adamant that they wanted it anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...