Premed 101 Forums

Pre-req Post-Bacc Courses with Labs

HenryJ

I received my bachelor's degree back in April 2018 and after 2 failed med school application cycles in Canada I turned to US MD and DO schools. 

I realized I am missing many prerequisite courses (i.e. English + some lab courses) and was looking into post-bacc programs that could help me get the missing credits and apply to the US.

Are there any post-bacc programs (with labs, so assuming I cannot do online) that you guys would recommend? I've heard of a lot of shady programs so I'm looking for some feedback.

I found https://www.medschoolimg.com/premed-postbaccalaureate this program so far which is pretty close to me in Toronto. Has anyone heard of it?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!!

7 minutes ago, bill number said:

Can you register at your local university as a special student/non-degree student and take the required classes?

Is that what most people do? When I look at the pros/cons:

Going back to University of Toronto:

Pros: Valid institution, better learning experience ; Cons: Notorious for hard courses (afraid GPA might drop) (English courses for pre-req may be difficult)

Going to external institution:

Pros: Easier courses, fast pace so I can get through courses faster (5 weeks compared to whole semester) ; Cons: Not a proper university, potential for sketchiness

Also, at UofT there is a limit of 6.0 credits of 1st year level courses you can take (which I used up all of) , and if you surpass that they don't give you a grade on the transcript, just the credit. And I believe for many schools you actually need a grade. There is also the potential of 'exceptions' where if I took an upper level course, I am not allowed to take a lower level course of a similar kind (to avoid GPA boosters, I assume)

1 hour ago, HenryJ said:

I received my bachelor's degree back in April 2018 and after 2 failed med school application cycles in Canada I turned to US MD and DO schools. 

I realized I am missing many prerequisite courses (i.e. English + some lab courses) and was looking into post-bacc programs that could help me get the missing credits and apply to the US.

Are there any post-bacc programs (with labs, so assuming I cannot do online) that you guys would recommend? I've heard of a lot of shady programs so I'm looking for some feedback.

I found https://www.medschoolimg.com/premed-postbaccalaureate this program so far which is pretty close to me in Toronto. Has anyone heard of it?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!!

That program is garbage. its a scam, that preys on uninformed. 

Just go to literally any university in your area, or online via TRU or Athabasca to get the missing pre-requisites done. You just need to enroll in a 2nd undergrad degree perhaps to get them done, and just dont complete the degree.  Ryerson, York, UofT, McMaster, whatever. 

Just now, JohnGrisham said:

That program is garbage. its a scam, that preys on uninformed. 

Just go to literally any university in your area, or online via TRU or Athabasca to get the missing pre-requisites done. You just need to enroll in a 2nd undergrad degree perhaps to get them done, and just dont complete the degree.  Ryerson, York, UofT, McMaster, whatever. 

I was gonna drop by their office tomorrow to see how legit it was, maybe I shouldn't even waste my time on that?

I was looking at Ryerson but the course schedules overlap so much that it would take me forever to get all my pre-reqs done.

Would you recommend Athabasca? I heard I can even get lab courses done through them. Not clear on how they work though.

53 minutes ago, HenryJ said:

I was gonna drop by their office tomorrow to see how legit it was, maybe I shouldn't even waste my time on that?

I was looking at Ryerson but the course schedules overlap so much that it would take me forever to get all my pre-reqs done.

Would you recommend Athabasca? I heard I can even get lab courses done through them. Not clear on how they work though.

Definitely dont waste time on that.  Look at their website, how is that not enough to turn you away? They are catered towards IMGs and unsuspecting children of immigrants. Its a scam.

Definitely dont waste time on that.  Look at their website, how is that not enough to turn you away? They are catered towards IMGs and unsuspecting children of immigrants. Its a scam.

You're right. It looked too sketchy for me. I am looking into courses with Athabasca but I see that many US medical schools do not accept credits from online institutions (according to MSAR) :( Maybe I should email them and confirm

Just now, HenryJ said:

You're right. It looked too sketchy for me. I am looking into courses with Athabasca but I see that many US medical schools do not accept credits from online institutions (according to MSAR) :( Maybe I should email them and confirm

Most US schools wont know if your athabasca courses were done online. The transcript doesnt state its an online course. Athabasca has in person courses also, so again, no way for them to know, or frankly care. Don't email, and don't rock the boat. Online schools in the US are a different beast - for profit diploma mills, very different than Athabasca and TRU.

Most US schools wont know if your athabasca courses were done online. The transcript doesnt state its an online course. Athabasca has in person courses also, so again, no way for them to know, or frankly care. Don't email, and don't rock the boat. Online schools in the US are a different beast - for profit diploma mills, very different than Athabasca and TRU.

Dang that's some good news! Thanks for the input!!

2 hours ago, HenryJ said:

Also, at UofT there is a limit of 6.0 credits of 1st year level courses you can take (which I used up all of) , and if you surpass that they don't give you a grade on the transcript, just the credit. And I believe for many schools you actually need a grade. There is also the potential of 'exceptions' where if I took an upper level course, I am not allowed to take a lower level course of a similar kind (to avoid GPA boosters, I assume)

Although UofT has a limit of 6.0, all that means is that any first year course above 6.0 credits won't be factored in your GPA, but will show a grade on your transcript. Had that happen to me, and my transcript has the grade, but says EXT next to the course to show that it's not included in my overall UofT GPA

26 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

How sure are you about this for pre-reqs that require in-person labs? Any adcom can google where Athabasca is, which is somewhat situated in Alberta. If you live in Ontario and your presumed pre-req courses are from Alberta, it might look really fishy, especially when you can easily take those pre-reqs at UofT.

I'm in the same boat btw. Taking only physics II, this winter at UofT, with online lectures and in-person lab as a special student. I know you can take non lab courses on Athabasca like biochem, and some forms of ochem, just not sure if its acceptable for the lab courses for med school prereqs.

3 minutes ago, Medase said:

How sure are you about this for pre-reqs that require in-person labs? Any adcom can google where Athabasca is, which is somewhat situated in Alberta. If you live in Ontario and your presumed pre-req courses are from Alberta, it might look really fishy, especially when you can easily take those pre-reqs at UofT.

I'm in the same boat btw. Taking only physics II, this winter at UofT, with online lectures and in-person lab as a special student. I know you can take non lab courses on Athabasca like biochem, and some forms of ochem, just not sure if its acceptable for the lab courses for med school prereqs.

What troubles me is the timeline. With online courses I can get them done at my time asap (i.e. starting Dec 1). But if I go to a local university with some of their prereq/coreqs or availability issues, I would get them done by September at the earliest. 

Athabasca sends you lab kits for home labs! Which is convenient in a way I guess. At this point the prereqs aren’t even for learning for me. It’s literally to fill in the missing pieces.

12 minutes ago, Medase said:

Although UofT has a limit of 6.0, all that means is that any first year course above 6.0 credits won't be factored in your GPA, but will show a grade on your transcript. Had that happen to me, and my transcript has the grade, but says EXT next to the course to show that it's not included in my overall UofT GPA

When I go back to register for courses it says I’m not eligible :( 

12 minutes ago, HenryJ said:

What troubles me is the timeline. With online courses I can get them done at my time asap (i.e. starting Dec 1). But if I go to a local university with some of their prereq/coreqs or availability issues, I would get them done by September at the earliest. 

Athabasca sends you lab kits for home labs! Which is convenient in a way I guess. At this point the prereqs aren’t even for learning for me. It’s literally to fill in the missing pieces.

If you did your undergrad at UofT, you could possibly start this winter at UofT, just talk to your academic advisor and they'll give you a form to fill out to get it started. However winter courses are usually part 2 of pre-req courses, but you might be able to find some courses you can take. If you want to do it at another university outside your undergrad one, September maybe the earliest, but talk it out with an academic advisor. 

Yea I know about the home lab kits, but does that fully replace the lab component of an in-person lab? You might want to contact some random US med schools to sort it out if you don't want to risk it, up to you. 

12 minutes ago, HenryJ said:

When I go back to register for courses it says I’m not eligible :( 

Hmm that's weird, you might want to talk to an academic advisor about it. I had a bunch of first year courses (+7 credits due to mostly highschool credits transferred), but it never gave me any problems directly when enrolling. UofT undergrad. 

Oh actually maybe your problem is you already graduated, so you need to talk to an academic advisor to activate your account again for you to register for classes. It's like $25 to reactivate account last time I did it, and your good to go.

1 minute ago, Medase said:

If you did your undergrad at UofT, you could possibly start this winter at UofT, just talk to your academic advisor and they'll give you a form to fill out to get it started. However winter courses are usually part 2 of pre-req courses, but you might be able to find some courses you can take. If you want to do it at another university outside your undergrad one, September maybe the earliest, but talk it out with an academic advisor. 

Yea I know about the home lab kits, but does that fully replace the lab component of an in-person lab? You might want to contact some random US med schools to sort it out if you don't want to risk it, up to you. 

Hmm that's weird, you might want to talk to an academic advisor about it. I had a bunch of first year courses (+7 credits due to mostly highschool credits transferred), but it never gave me any problems directly when enrolling. UofT undergrad.

Yea I want to get the prereqs done in the spring so I can use them for next cycle! And apparently the take home labs do replace the lab component and count as a full lab section. For org chem you have to be in Edmonton though for an in class sessions (4 day intensive labs).